Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x61 sharpe & hart
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for some load info on the old wildcat 6.5x61 sharpe & hart, aka 6.5/7x61 sharpe & hart, .264 shannon.I have a beautiful heavy barreled rifle. It is basically the same
demensions as the 7x61 but necked to .264. the 6.5x61 S&H is made by necking down the 7x61 S&H or forming it from 7mmrem mag or the like. It is said to equal the .264 wm with less powder. RCBS and Redding both make loading dies and forming dies for it. I have one load for it with a 129gr sp with 60 grains of 4831. I
here it is the same as the .264 shannon. shoulder.

thanks for your help. Bill

Posts: 3 | Location: oregon | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I got one because of a sneaky trick by a friend (Floyd Green) who owns a gun shop (Outdoorsman's) at 10004 N. Cave Creek Road in Phoenix, AZ.

In the mid 1980's, Floyd bought out an old-timer's shop in Globe, AZ. Amongst the stuff in the shop was a barrel for a large ring Mauser with that chambering and bore. He gave me the barrel for nothing.

Naturally, I couldn't just sell it or cut it up, or anything like that without trying it out, so I bought a Mark X in .300 Winchester, yanked the barrel off of it and had Paul Marquart screw the "free" barrel on. Used that resulting rifle off and on for about 10 years before I disassembled it, put the original barrel back on, and sold it. Still have the 6.5x61 barrel. Will look up my old loads this evening after supper and post them for you in the morning.

If my memory is correct, it produced about the same ballistics as the .264 Winchester. Anyway will look up the data as soon as I get the chance tonight.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
While I'm sure the ballistics are close to the 264Wmag. Don't use the 264Wmag loading data. The 6.5-61 is smaller in capacity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As Ramrod said, don't use .264 data. DON'T use THIS data either!! All barrels/guns are different in what they will function properly and safely with, and this data is ONLY for information. You will need to work up your own loads for your gun.

My rifle barrel make was unknown. The barrel length after shortening it to adjust headspace on installation, and re-crowning, was 23.8". It was a very slim profile, similar to the A&B Mauser sporter barrels now being sold by Midway. My action as I mentioned yesterday was a Mark X Mauser with original factory magnum bolt face.

I used a 7x61 S&H die with the base trimmed .200" in my lathe as a body sizing die for making brass from .264 Winchester brass, and an ancient Herter's universal 6.5 die for a neck sizer. (I cut the top of the sizing die off just at the top of the case shoulder, so I could see a little of what was going on in there.) Also used a Wilson 7x61 shell-holder in a Wilson case trimmer to adjust overall brass length to fit the chamber.

All chronograph readings were taken over an Oehler Model 33 chrono, with a screen spacing of exactly 5.0 feet.

Here are three loads I began with:

#1. 60 grains of Hi-Vel #2, 129 gr. RN bullet of unknown make, unkown LR primer. (So much of this is unknown with this load, as these cartridges came with the barrel. I pulled the bullets, sized the brass to fit the new chamber, and re-seated the bullets after reducing the powder charge by 2.0 grains. The Hi-Vel was identified under comparative microscopic examination alongside kernals from the remaining 12 pounds of a 20-lb keg of Hi-Vel #2 which was also part of the inventory of the shop purchase which gave me the barrel.)

Velocity of this load was very consistent for the apparent age of the ammo. Five rounds chrono'd yielded a high velocity of 3.069 FPS, and a low velocity of 3,051 fps. Average velocity for the 5 rounds was 3,062 at 12 feet from the chrono.

This ammo DID NOT group well, with an average 5-shot group size at 100 yards of 2-7/8".

Load #2 - 58 grs. H-4831, 120 gr. Speer spitzer, Federal 210 primer. Chrono'd average velocity of 3,204.5 fps. for 5 shots at 12 feet from the chrono. Accuracy was better. Average of four 5-shot groups at 100 yards was 1-1/8", with a largest group of 1-1/4".

Load #3 - 60 grains of H-4831, same 120 gr, Speer spitzer bullet and Federal F-210 primer. Chrono data, highest velocity of 5 shots = 3,369 fps. Lowest velocity 3,345. Average of 5 shots 3,355.5 fps.

This load gave the smallest groups of these 3 loads, with average group size right at 1 inch at 100 yards.

I also fired this load without the extractor on the bolt, to see if I got any indication of high pressures when trying to extract the fired cases without the leverage of the extractor cam. The bolt handle could still be easily lifted with my little finger alone, and when the rifle was raised muzzle-up with the bolt open, the fired cases all literally fell out of the chamber by their own weight.

Obviously, max safe pressure had not likely been reached. I never tried any hotter loads with that bullet though. 3,355 f.p.s. is plenty fast for the capability of a non-premium bullet in my uses.

Am sure I have some 140 grain data around somewhere too, but haven't found it yet.

Sorry this info is later than promised yesterday, but had to take an animal to the vet's this morning, and just got back from town.

If I can help any other way, give me a yell, either here or by pm.

Best wishes,

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the priceless info, I will compile all the loads people give me and post them. thanks Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill There was an article on the 264 Shannon or 6.5x61 in the Handloaders Digest several years ago. I'm not at home right now and can't remember which year it was .Perhaps someone else remembers the article and can provide a date. As already suggested it provided 264 Win mag ballistics with 8 to 10 grs less powder.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I finally did some shooting with this rifle. the best load i have after trying a dozen or so different loads is 60gr of h4831 cci 250,120 nosler bt. gives me <1" groups at 100m, smallest was .350" not too bad huh.
Bill