New
Find
Notify
Tools

375/338 vs. 375/300WIn
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a practical difference between the 2 as far as velocity and potential accuracy are concerned? I have seen where some claim that the .300 Win version is "better" due to the shorter neck, hence increased powder capacity (I can't see there being a big gain). I would think that with the length of .375 dia bullets it would be moot because the shank would occupy that extra powder space anyway, given the length constraints of a normal .300 Win mag box. Meanwhile, I would think that the slightly longer neck of the .338 version might help hold the bullets under recoil a little better.
The reason for these questions is the consideration of a rifle in one of these chamberings based on a Ruger 77 Stainless laminate rifle. I know some are not fond of Rugers, but I am a left handed shooter and this is one of the few left hand stainless rifles out there. As far as Montana Rifle Company goes I believe there action would work just as well but the Ruger already comes with a stock I like and that fits me well.
So any opinions or helpful tips for this project, or the two cartridges would be appreciated. Thanks, Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be the .375 Chatfield-Taylor versus the .375 Epstein.

No significant difference, hype aside, and action/box length the same .

I like the .375/.338, and have one on an FN Mauser with a 21.5" barrel.

My .416 Taylor was done on a Ruger MkII 77 Stainless, with a 26" Shilen barrel.

The Ruger would be a great action for a .375/.338, or the .375 Epstein. Whatever floats your boat.

Cheers!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron. IIRC, the .375 Epstein was based on the .375 H&H case trimmed down to 2.605" to gain a slightly longer neck than would be achieved using .338 Mag. brass. Data from both the .375 Taylor and .375 Epstein are within on grain of each other, as I recall from Handloader and Rifle Magazines. As a matter of fact, my .375 Taylor uses the Epstein data which runs about one grain higher than the Taylor on average.
My rifle is built on a tang safety Ruger 77 with 22" barrel, and duplicates .375 H&H velocity with no problems at all.
I would think that necking up a neck as short as is found on the .300 Win. Mag. might create problems in holding a bullet in place under the recoil. Some people still figure the neck is too short for a 30 caliber bullet. I doubt that there would be enough gain from using a .300 Win. mag. case anyway. Just my humble two cents worth.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
aww, heck, mah...

375/338, 375/300 win, 376 steyr... all will bet 375 hh power, at higher pressure than the 375hh.

btw, proportionally, the 500 jeffe has a shorter neck than the 300 win, and it's frickin FINE and let me tell you about recoil.

I've never, ever, had a 300 win have a loading failure due to the bullet setting back... in fact, I firmly believe that if you crimp, it's irrelavent.

jeffe

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote