New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Maverick
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This round does not exist, obviously, but I was on another thread discussing equivalents to the 460 A-Square Short, and it came to mind that the Lazzeroni 10.57 Maverick (.416 inch) is duplicating the 416 Rem from a 2 inch case held to COL 2.8 inches. The 400 gr offering clocks 2400 fps. Now, the 400 gr 416 is the same length as the 500 gr 458 bullet,a nd the shoulder is ..557 inches.... more than adequate for headspacing a .458 bullet.

The neck would be .487, giving a .070 shoulder...more than the 358 Win. Given the right powder, this translates into a 12% increase in ME, or about 5730 FPE. This is 458 Lott country in a true short action, workable in a 300 WSM action and magazine. The Maverich has a 7.5% capacity advantage over the WSM case as it is .020 bigger all the way from the base to the neck.

In addition, the extra .020 makes the .458 headspacing work... on the WSM case it would have 30% less shoulder than the 35 Whelen...not good.

I think the powder that would make the 450 Maverick meet the energy expectations is AA 2230 or possibly AA 2460. If you look at 458 Win data in both the Speer Manual #13 and the current AA Manual, you will get the picture...43,000 to 45,000 CUP for compressed loads clocking 2100 to 2200 fps. Note that the Speer tungsten solid is short for its weight, giving a bit more case capacity and driving to 2239 fps with AA 2230. This is an increase of 700 FPE.

for serious work, then, this bullet with AA2230 or 2460 could deliver 6400 FPE. A 350 gr spitzer at 2700fps would be a "light " load extending range considerably.

If we use the corrections for the short fat case efficiency we are now enjoying, the 5700 FPE at the muzzle can be had with only 66 grs of water case capacity. Without it it takes nearly 75 grs. My guess is that the Maverick with a correctly seated 500 gr Hornady .458 holds just about that much AA2230.

So, give me some honest criticism, and let me know if Lazzereoni sells Maverick Brass. Also, do they have proprietary interest and control over reamers and dies that ALTER the Maverick? Is necking up enough to meet these requirements?

Thank you.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lazzeroni sells their short brass with two headstamps....the 30-cal Patriot and the 338-cal (whatever) which is simply the Patriot necked-up with a different stamp. Lazzeroni made me a short-action .375 he calls the 9.53 HellCat. I had to form my own brass by necking up the Patriot brass...not a problem and as I remember I only lost 2 or 3 cases out of 120 I formed. You would form Maverick brass by necking up Patriot brass.

A couple of things to consider...(1) I think you will have trouble reaching 2400fps w/400gr bullet in any barrel 24" or shorter barrel as the length of the bullets will really intrude into powder space.....shorter bullets (300gr and 350gr) should do much better....(2) Lazzeroni brass is much thicker than Winchester brass so while the exterior diameter is bigger it may not be much bigger inside and remember, the WSM case is longer than the Lazz Patriot.....(3) I talked to John about a 45-cal based on the Patriot case and he told me he looked at it but wasn't happy about potential head-space problems.....(4) finally, to get the performance John lists you are going to need to load at levels between 65K and 70K pressures (poor reloading technique can get you into trouble quickly at his level) and that means you should use the action he does...the McMillan MCRT as I think it is a big mistake to open the bolt-face on others actions.

Finally, Mark Bansner makes a lot of rifles in the various Lazzeroni cartridges...including the Maverick. I would talk to him or you could call John Lazzeroni (or e-mail him) direct. A nice fellow who produces a quality rifle.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
I got my 450 Tomjac reamer from Clymer today. This is a wildcat based on Remington Ultra Magnum cases, cut to 2.1" and have a neck formed with 40� shoulder. In short it is a 450SAUM/WSM. This is made for Barnes X 350grs e.l. I am also waiting on my Montana Rifleman M1999 SA action with magnum boltface.
450Tomjac Drawing 95kb.

-
 -

[ 06-05-2003, 16:30: Message edited by: Tomjac@SluttStykke ]

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of performance are you anticipating and I'm curious why you spec'ed it with the 350gr Barnes-X? What type of hunting will you be using it for?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
With 350 and 400grs. I would expect it to duplicate 458WinMag performance. (These cases will only have 5grs. of water less volume than 458WinMag). Larger bullets need to be seated deeper to fit into short action magazine. This will reduce powder volume which will lead to lack of speed. This is way I spec't it for 350grs. Barnes X or 400grs. "normal" bullets.

I will use this as my "dog handler"-rifle when hunting Moose in Norway. Short and easy handled rifle with a 1.5-6 scope.

BTW. My MRC M1999 SA action will have this serial no. B03-TOMJAC [Big Grin]

[ 06-06-2003, 10:49: Message edited by: Tomjac@SluttStykke ]

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote