New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for Experienced Wildcatters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Re - my previous post "416 Rimmed Tactical"...

1 - What is the minimum rim exposure (that is, rim radius - base radius) that will give reliable extraction on a No. 1? Is there a atandard?

2 - How much can you neck down a case neck without an intermediate die? If I start with a case neck for a .475 bullet, can I go to a .416 in one shot? .375?

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have an answer for #1, but on #2 you may have trouble going over .025" per time.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
but on #2 you may have trouble going over .025" per time

??
I have taken 06 cylinder brass to 375 in one pass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I've done 458 Win down to .375-338 in a single pass. That's a 0.083" diameter reduction.

.475 to .416 is only 0.059". I'd say not a problem.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#2... I knew two men, both gunsmiths. Both went together to the wholesaler and bought a set of .243 dies packed in sequence out of the manufacturer's master package box. One set would take a mil surplus .308 case down to .243 in one pass, no problem. Lubed of course. The other set would ruin 3 or 4 cases in 10. Guess who got to make all the .243 cases?

You don't say "how." You pay for a custom set of form dies and I would say "sure." You gonna wing it, I would go for steps. Used die sets are pretty cheap at gun shows around here anyway.

I would also suggest that you think "anneal." That is alot of "work" of the brass which means work hardening and you might get neck splits awful quick. First Shot? Pain to be avoided. You can dip in pure lead, molten, [NO live primers please...]. Hold the rim with your fingers and drop in water when it gets too hot. Alloys melt cooler and the anneal will not be as effective.

#1) ??? Rim? I would look at and go by the factory standards. Probably what the extractor was designed/engineered around. luck

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Rimless cases work just fine in a #1. I have a .30-06. If you load too hot you may need a screwdriver for extraction . . . .

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote