Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge rim turning?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Have come up with a cartridge, but need the rim turned down from .473 to .441 for the rifle bolt face. No possibility of opening the bolt face. Does anyone know of an easy way to turn the cartridge rim smaller? Is there anyone out there who could do this modification for me? Will pay.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Do you have a drill press or lathe?

How many do you want to make? And is the case straight wall or bottleneck?

Last fall I made some powder measures (black powder) out of some 45-70 cases and 44 magnum cases. The 44's slide right in to the 45-70's, telescope them to the load you want and then solder them together and you have a nice looking and sturdy measure. I chucked up the 44 magnum cases in the lathe and turned the rims down and then drilled the base out, but for your needs the bases turn off just fine. However, the cases would crush if unsupported so I turned a metal rod to fit inside and it worked just fine, no marking or anything.

What would also work would be to chuck up a sizer die with the expander removed in a lathe and use that to hold the shell, you could just tap a case in and turn the rim to your diameter, then tap it out with a long rod going through the headstock or slip a shellholder over the rim (the new size, ha ha) and lever it out with a screwdriver. Anyway, it would be easy, quick, and accurate. And also cheap.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine does something similar to what was stated about the rod and the lathe to turn down the rims on .357 mag pistol brass to make cases for my .351 Win. Self Loader. Seems to work great with very few mistakes.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I do have a drill press, but not a lathe. The cartridge case is the .250 Savage Ackley Improved. I need to make about 100 cases. The problem I have is, I am trying to build up a .250SavImp on the mini-mauser action in left hand. Although they have imported some .22-250 actions, I cannot find one. Also have been told this action/rifle may not be imported again due to lack of sales. I can get the 7.62x39 left hand rifle with the .441 bolt face. Three gunsmiths who have worked on the mini-mauser have said they could not open the bolt face to .473. I came to the conclusion (no matter how daffy) that a rebated rim on the .250 would work.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a good many fellows that used the CZ 7.62x39 action for other cartridges such as the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 Rem. They and their gunsmiths all said that the bolt on that action is at it's maximum with the 7.62x39 rim size so your three gunsmiths were correct in not wanting to open up the bolt face. But..here's something else to consider. A good number of them said they would not use that action even for the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 Rem because they felt it's not strong enough. They said if they did they wouldn't dare touch max loads. You think your 250 AI Savage round might be too much?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prof 242,
A case is easy to hold with a L. E. Wilson case trimmer case holder. The case is just tapped into the tapered bore and it locks itself in place. Then you chuck on the OD of the case holder. After turning the rim, simply tap on the case mouth and the case will pop out of the case holder.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old Have you considered the 22-PPC? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm ppc or 7*33 sako would fit

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I may have to reconsider the cartridge. I know that loads will have to be watched carefully for pressure signs.

bartsche & Nordic2: Have wanted this rifle for doe deer and antelope, and as just a general walking around rifle. Minimum bullet diameter for those animals is .243 in Colorado. Had thought of the 6mmPPC, but wanted a little more velocity.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I had Dave Kiff grind me a brass gouge when I was turning the rims off of 348 Wincheser/50 Alaskan brass a few years ago.

One plunge, it would peel the rim off and cut an extractor groove the same as a WSM case.

Wasn't terribly expensive and was fast enough I didn't loose my mind in the repetition.

I'll try peeling back a couple 308's today and see how long it takes.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prof

I am thinkin git might be simpler to just aquire a donor action to build this on.

if you really want to do this fast and right find a buddy with a lathe and a collet set up and have hm make you a custom collett and then you can pop them in and out quickly.

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old OK ! Since you are in the wildcat forum, let me point out another option.
popcorn for starters,The 6.5 Carcano has the appropriate rim Dia. Not a lot of velocity but not a bad walk around deer cartridge.
Roll EyesNow if that won't do it, do a wild cat necking down the Carcano to something close to the 220 Swift. Same head dia.
The Carcano Case is a little shorter than the .220 Swift but the chamber can be done by a savvy gun smith using a slightly short stroke with the Swift reamer.
Chopping off .140" from the 220 Swift sizing die and the Carcano brass will put you in business.
popcornHaving a set of Butch Lambert's bushings would also be dandy . Can't wait to see YOUR Carcano Swift, or .220 Carcano.
A 1 to 9 twist would be handy also for bullet weights up to 70 grs.
WinkIf bullet velocities are kept at 22-250 performance levels or a little lower, short barrel life for this hunting rifle will not be an issue.
popcornLet's look at it. No special reamer, no special dies, no brass machining, no feed problems and work associate with rebated cases.
LOL beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I realize now that I forgot to add a key piece of information. The main thing I'm trying to do is keep this on a short mini-mauser action for a custom piece. I do have a short-action Rem 700 I could use, but that isn't the point of this exercise. Might just have to wait until I find the mini-mauser .22-250 action.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
The mini-amuser gunsmith, Kevin, lives about 12 miles east of me. Today he suggested a cartridge base upon the 6.8 SPC case and necked to 6mm that he has made up for some coyote shooters. This may do what I want. I could load the Nosler 6mm 85gr Partition bullet.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it would fit very similar to a round based on 6,5 carcano.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the action is already set up for the 7.62x39 I'd look at that case necked down to 6mm. Either that or go to the 6mm PPC. The 6mmPPC is a tad harder to find cheap brass for, but can be formed out of 7.62x39.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with the 220 Russian? No brass work only 220 Russian brass. That is what I'm doing with my MiniMauser.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Butch, I think you have sold me, but must go to the 6PPC for legal deer and antelope hunting in Colorado. May have to use the lighter CEB bullets in 6mm for these animals in order to get the velocities I want.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.8 sounds good to me. Right case head size and a little more powder capacity.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something to keep in mind. The 6.5 Grendel case has the right size bolt head and is .070" longer in case length. I have a gunsmith friend that builds them, 123grain bullets at 2800FPS and necked up to 30 cal becomes the 30 Major. 118 grain bullets at close to 3000 FPS. That is loading them a little hot, but would be an excellent deer and antelope cartridge.
The brass is available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Something to keep in mind. The 6.5 Grendel case has the right size bolt head and is .070" longer in case length. I have a gunsmith friend that builds them, 123grain bullets at 2800FPS and necked up to 30 cal becomes the 30 Major. 118 grain bullets at close to 3000 FPS. That is loading them a little hot, but would be an excellent deer and antelope cartridge.
The brass is available.

Butch,

The 123 6.5 Grendel far exceeds that light weight 30 caliber bullet in ballistics....has a much much higher BC. For deer close up no problem...but for long range shots at antelope I'd take that 6.5 bullet any day over a short light weight 30 caliber bullet. Just my two cents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand your thoughts. I believe either would be great for up to 200yards. I believe you just need to know your limitations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I understand your thoughts. I believe either would be great for up to 200yards. I believe you just need to know your limitations.

The 6.5 Grendel reaches far beyond 200 yards with the 123 grain Lapua bullet and that's out of an AR 15 which most don't push as hard as with the round set up on a bolt rifle. It stays with, possible beats the trajectory of the 308. I know a guy that cleanly killed an Elk at 450 yards with that bullet and an AR 15. I'm not bragging the round up, I had one on an AR 15 but sold it last year. It is a decent little round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Today he suggested a cartridge base upon the 6.8 SPC case and necked to 6mm that he has made up for some coyote shooters.

I built one of these a couple years ago for prairie dogs, had Manson make a reamer so I wouldn't have to turn the necks and I'm using a Redding 6.8 bushing die with a 6mm bushing so I didn't need a special die set. Works like a champ in an AR, whacked my first ever pd with it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote