THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Neck size 30-06 Ackley "only" with std '06 die?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck size 30-06 Ackley "only" with std '06 die?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Just to get things started until I figure out what die set up I plan on using for my soon to arrive 30-06 Ackley Improved, I would think I should be able to use my Forster FL die to "only" neck size the cases.

Oh wait! Won't it taper the cases back to std '06 body dimensions?

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al

Mebbe, mebbe not. It depends on the interior dimensions of the die. Neck sizers are made to avoid sizing any portion of the body and there are some that are straight or cylindrical while others may have a taper but are a few thou oversize so as to avoid touching the body. I'd call Forster and ask them.

But, if you are going to be shooting that AI a lot you will probably end up with a body sizer and shoulder bump die eventually so you might be ahead (and save yourself some aggravation) by getting a proper set of dies to start with. On the other hand, if you don't intend to shoot it a lot you can afford the luxury of tossing brass that starts getting sticky and needs to be body sized/shoulder bumped. JMHO

Ray

Ooops! Just re-read your question. You intend to use a FL die, not a neck sizer. So the answer is yes, it will resize the body back to original '06 dimensions.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Ray,

As I was driving to work, I was thinking the samet thing too.

Oh well!

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Lee 30-06 Collet die will do the trick without modification.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I start with a neck sizer only on most of my IMP wildcats. The brass will work into a tight fit. Ok for target work. I would check the fit before the hunting trip. Last thing I wanted was to not be able to chamber a round when needed. After the 3-4 loading or earlier if it is real tight I will bump the shoulder back. Since my wildcats are the same case I had a full length die set made for the largest caliber. I then use it without the expander on the smaller ones to bump the shoulder .

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I've been using the 30/06 Lee collet die for my 30/06AI and it has been working great so far. Hornady and Redding make full length dies and Redding also makes a neck sizing die. Midway carries both brands of dies for about $55 a set.

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Lee Collet die for a 223AI I'm planning. Have also read that the 375 Collet die is perfect for the 375AI ... where the AI cases are not substantially longer/shorter ... the Lee Collet die is useable. I think Hornady also make universal neck sizing dies in certain calibers including 30cal.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote