New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-338Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ruger No. 1 chambered in this round for almost 30 years and am no longer reloading. Thinking of going to .300 Win Mag for the ease of aquiring ammunition. I have a few rounds of 180 gr Nosler Partitions loaded with 68 gr of IMR 4350 which leave at just over 3,000 fps if I recall correctly.

Should I rechamber or just sell and buy a .300 Win Mag? I have the dies, just lost interest in reloading.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey RonE,
I am in the process of building a .30-338 win mag. My mother donated two mauser actions to me. An FN and a 98. I put another rifle build on hold for this. The FN is going to be an 8mm-338 win mag though.
How did you like the round? reloading, fire forming and such? I am looking at load data bullets, also case mfg.Does your rifle have a muzzle brake? Which cases do you prefer. I have been told to just fire form .308 norma cases?

Thanks for any and all ideas and help in advace.
Coues
Derrick

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The brass I have always preferred has been free brass. Therefore I have Remington Peters, W-W Super, Super X and probably some other that I picked up off the shooting room floor at Huntingtons Sportsmans Store (RCBS).

I really like the round for elk and deer and I like the 180 gr Nosler partition bullets for hunting but I understand that there are better bullets now.

I didn't need a muzzle brake because it is a hunting rifle and I can't seem to remember any recoil from all the animals I have shot. I wouldn't want to shoot extensively at the range however. The rifle I have shoots 1" or less all day long and I have never had to shoot an elk or deer more than once to put it down. Sometimes a shot up close for dispatch.

The round is a little shorter than the .300 Win Mag but seems to preform about the same. As far as I am concerned, in North America, 180 gr bullets going in excess of 3,000 fps is the key to the retirement system. If I have the rifle rechambered I will have dies and some brass for sale.

I think it is a great round but I don't reload anymore.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You,
I am really looking forward to shooting mine.Keep me in mind if you do decide to sell.
Thanks Again.
Coues
derrick

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I use 7MM Rem Mag brass in my .30-338 WM. Just run them through the die and there ya go. Nosler 165 Ballistic tips and RL22. Easy to load and easy to shoot. It has a muzzle brake but I don't always use it.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Sorry I hijacked your thread RonE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't jack anything. I use 7mm Rem Mag brass (necked up) and .338 Win Mag (necked down).

I am leaning towards selling everything, rifle. scope, sling, dies and brass.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I've got a REM 700 in 30-338. 26 inch hart BBL, 1-12 rifling. I've used this rifle with 150GR Nosler Ballistic Tips on Muleys and Lopes. Last Lope I shot was 520 yds in 1994. The 150 rockets out at 3573 FPS with @@gr IMR (safe in my gun but may not be in others) 4831. Flat as my ex-wife and accurate as a Banker. Been sittin for several years now. I've built several guns since the 30-338 so it just sits. It will never go away because of all the fond memories I have with it. I still love that rocket launcher. fishing

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thankuou RonE for the dies and brass.
coues

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your project. I think you will enjoy the .30-338 Win Mag. Thank you for the check!