New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x49 GJW
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ran upon this cartridge in the VihtaVuori reloading manual, and because I like oddball calibers, it sparked my interest. The 7x49 GJW was developed by a Swiss physicist (G.J. Wasser) and is based on a 5.6x50 Mag case opened up to take a 7mm bullet. It is most often used in pistols, but I thought it would make a neat deer cartridge in an ultralight rifle (built on the tiny SAKO action). There is no logical reason for this other than it seems interesting to me. Has anyone had any experience with this cartridge? I have heard that virgin brass is available from Switzerland but I can't find any info on it. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never even heard of it, but it seems to be a hard way to make something that is similar in performance to the 7BR?

The brass can be had .. but again, nothing the 7BR wouldn't do.

If you want to do something similar, the 7 TC/U would be awefully close. If you want a specific bolt face (say PPC), there are other options as well - we are finishing up a 7 PPC-Long that edges out the 7 BR by a "whopping" 2 grains of water capacity ...

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of this cartridge before as well, and my interest perks whenever that happens. I am one of those who enjoys off the wall (and usually theoretical) gun projects that have no rationality whatsoever. I think my shooting friends think that I am partially nuts, but it sure is fun. I really became interested because I had never heard of any wildcats on the 5.6x50mm case. Thanks for your input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a few more wildcats, such as:
5.6 x 50mm Improved
6 x 50mm S&H
5.6 x 50Rmm Bellm
.17 x 50Rmm
.14 x 50Rmm
Regards,
HockeyPuck

www.aement.com
Home of AccuLoad and LoadTech

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Mike Bellm has done a 6.5 and 7mm on the 5.56X50R case. They have been great performers out of 14" contender barrels, the 6.5X50 is the only 6.5mm contender chambering that has achieved 2500 fps with a 120 gr from a 14" tube. That said, the chamberin has almost no neck, and thus would be unsuitable for a repeater. Even more troublesome is componet brass is both expensive, and supplies are inconsistan to non existant.

Personally, I'd opt for the X39 or PPC case as a parent for a mini actioned stalking rifle. One of the members on this forum did just that in the 6.5 bore, and you should be able to find info in the small bore forum by searching 6.5X39

I've had various chamberings that have difficult to obtain brass, and it becomes a serious PITA. In some specialized applications, such as the contender that allows higher pressures with smaller dia cases, the specialized brass has advantages. For a bolt gun, I'll always stick with a more ready option.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the 6.5x39, see this site...

http://www.65grendel.com

Factory rounds are available, as well as dies and brass. I'm having a CZ527 carbine in 7.62x39 rebarreled to the 6.5 Grendel as soon as I get of my ass and send the rifle to Brockman's. I had to get a rifle in this caliber as Grendel is the name of my German Shorthair Pointer...Wink

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyreb:
For the 6.5x39, see this site...

http://www.65grendel.com

Factory rounds are available, as well as dies and brass. I'm having a CZ527 carbine in 7.62x39 rebarreled to the 6.5 Grendel as soon as I get of my ass and send the rifle to Brockman's. I had to get a rifle in this caliber as Grendel is the name of my German Shorthair Pointer...Wink

Now that is the sorriest excuse I have ever heard for getting a new rifle....have to file that one away... Wink...mic

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x49 GJW cartridge is justly famous, and deservedly popular.

C.

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an owner of a 5.6x50R I can tell you it is a wonderful cartridge. I would dearly like to have a 6x50R Scheiring - it has been CIPd (European SAAMI equivalent)

The x50R case has a near identical capacity to the PPC case.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Older editions of Cartridges of the World show some US wildcats on the 5.6x50R case. It was in the 4th edition, I believe, that the VJR wildcats in .270 and .300 were listed. They were designed for the T/C Contender.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you again for the information. I will have to check my local used bookstore to see if they have the 4th edition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HELLO 9.3 rIFLEMAN,

dID YOU EVER PERSUE THIS CARTRIDGE??
i have the BF 10" pistol in &mm supermag which is identical except that the GJW has aslightly longer neck. Youcam form brass from the 357 supermag brass for both calibers. I have found lots of infoon the GJW on the IMSU site. Regards,Peter

ihmsakiwi

Posts: 41 | Location: new zealand | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote