Find
Notify
Tools

Newton Brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I am wanting to form some .30 Newton and .270 Newton brass.

In your opinion what is the most available and easiest brass to alter for that purpose?

If possible, I'd like to get some brass which has a head diameter which is already just about perfect. I heard the new .375 Ruger would be just the ticket, but would like to get that confirmed (or refuted) if possible.

Thanks,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey AC

Contact Forum member "white bison" a.k.a. Tom. He is the go-to guy for everything Newton.

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. If no one else pipes up here who has already tried the new brass which is currently available and found out what works well, I'll try that.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I corresponded quite a bit with Tom prior to his scheduled June ’08 African hunt regarding the various Newton cartridges and the current best parent brass to use in forming same. Tom has provide me samples of his 28, 30, and 416 Newton's formed from the .375 Ruger brass; he has also used the .375 Ruger basic brass for his .416 Newton.

After measuring over 150 of the formed and basic .375 Ruger brass, measuring Tom's formed brass, and comparing these measurements to Chas Newton’s chamber specifications, I concur with Tom’s stated position that .375 Ruger brass is the perfect brass for use in forming all of the .30 Newton derivative cartridges.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

After measuring over 150 of the formed and basic .375 Ruger brass, measuring Tom's formed brass, and comparing these measurements to Chas Newton’s chamber specifications, I concur with Tom’s stated position that .375 Ruger brass is the perfect brass for use in forming all of the .30 Newton derivative cartridges.

Thank you very, very much. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

You are a gentleman, a scholar, and a judge of fine women and whiskey! (And there are damned few of us left!! thumb)