Tools

338-06 Vs. 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brayhaven:
I haven't seen the 375 Hawk, Snapper, but based on the parent case, I imagine it doesn't have a lot of shoulder to rattle around the feed ramp Red Face). Some actions have less feeding hassles than others with the sharp shoulders.

quote:
Originally posted by Snapper:
quote:
Originally posted by brayhaven:

After shooting my Whelen for some time, I had Z-Hat rebarrel it to the 375 Hawk based on the 9.3x62 case and have had no feeding problems shooting 250 gr bullets @ 2,700 fps. The 9.3 case is an improved case.

No regrets and would do it again. The .375 dia bullet makes an impression on game. Brass is easy to make from Whelen brass. I'm using Dave Scovill's load of 59 gr of H4895 w/250 gr bullet. SD = 8. A very accurate load. Big Grin

Plenty of shoulder on the 375 Hawk. thumb

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
If I have to choose as Italian hunting in Italy I choose .338-06, if I cannot ha a 9.3x62. 35W Unknown
If I have to choose as Italian hunting in Africa I choose .338-06, if I cannot ha a 9.3x62.35W Unknown
Thanking God and the Italian Authorities I have a 9.3z62. but .338-06 is still very interesting for me.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope, no 7mags for me. I had one once and gave it away.

What's wrong with the 7 Rem Mag? I'm not a "magnum lover", but if i was, i'd "at least" own a 7 Rem mag...

I've harvested a pile of game with the 7 Rem mag, includeing the sheep in the pict.. and the 7 mm's have been good to me..

Properly loaded i wouldn't feel undergunned hunting and harvesting anything in NA includeing the big bears.

Have you ever seen what a 7mm 175NP does to both shoulders of a brown bear???

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them both for awhile, but like some others on this thread went to the 9.3x62 and thats the one I prefer for whatever reason..

The 338-06 and the 35 Whelen are both fine calibers and their isn't a lot of difference in the three of them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the optimal game types for the .338, .35, and .375 30-06 variants? Does the recoil vary much between these three cartridges?

Initially I'm looking for an Elk rifle but,I would like something usable on deer and appropirate for an Alaskan hunt. I have a little trouble with my shoulder so, I want to keep recoil down. Assuming the same rifle weights, does the larger bore really help reduce recoil assuming the projectile weights are similar?

Thanks,
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with the 338-06 as a sort of modern day 318 WR, & its done all I've asked of it. I did though see on Double Tap ammos site that they're loading the 310 Woodleighs in their 35 Whelens, now that looked well sexy. I've been meaning to try some of them in my 358 Norma but the 35 Whelen is surely closer to the velocity they were designed for. Probably need at least 1/12 twist to stabilise though.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could not resist a late commentary on this one..
Have both of these on pre-64 M-70 Winchesters.
NOT re-barrelled, but re-bored,chambered and re-rifled. Complete with iron sights.
Both are favorites and balance like 06 rifles-(which they were). One by the late Rich Nickel of Eatonville, WA. The 338-06 is on a SuperGrade stock - it really attracts attention. Shoots 210-250 Noslers well. Chub Eastman killed a grizzly with this cartridge and 210Nosler-see the Nosler reloading Manual -#2.
The 35 Whelen is also on a stock that looks like a SuperGrade. It is a custom rifle that looks
like a 1950 SG-and weighs about as much as a Featherweight. I would probably feel better with the Whelen after grizz or brown bear, especially with Noslers or Swift/Trophy bonded.

Inside 125 yards -I would prefer the heaviest 250-275 bullet I could load with RL-15.

A similar 270 gr bullet -in a Model 71 Winchester .348 Ackley Imp put an Alaskan moose to sleep for me in 2007. (IMR-4350)Ackley liked the 348 AI
as it virtually guaranteed an increase of 200FPS
extra with the 250 gr bullet. With the flat pt Hawk bullets-it is amazing on big game.So-the 348 is between these two-

Another point-the 338/35 W is best with 225 and heavier bullets. Thats why they were developed-
The 35 Whelen with 225s is almost identical to the British 350 Rigby cartridge-Which John Taylor thought an excellent cartridge in Africa. With Noslers-Swifts-Hawk 250gr bullets, the 338/35 W cartridges really deliver-and we have some first class SP bullets -now. Which elevate these cartridges to really reliable hunting
rounds, IMHO.

"Who dares, Wins"-----22 SAS

LTC Ridge Marriott
10th SFG(ABN)
MACVSOG (71-72)