Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem mag to 358 Norma??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I know it would be a stretch, no pun intended, but the Rem 7mm Mag case is about the same length as the 338 Win Mag case that I use to form 358 Norma Mag brass. I haven't tried expanding the neck from 7mm to 358, but I am going to anneal a couple of cases and give it a try. Has anyone else ever done this???

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
I have taken 270win to 35 whelen, with mixed results. '06 worked way better. It should work if you have 7mm brass surplus. other wise I would stick with the 338 brass.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've taken 280 brass to 416. About 75% success. When I take it from 280 to 358 I take it in two stages and use a tapered expander.

Like Woody said unless you are just buried in 7mmRem brass I would use 338s.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you go through this hassle when you could purchase one fired 338WM brass that would only require the necks opened up another .015" or so to make in to 358 Norma Mag cases?

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 358Norma and though I originally tried forming a couple of 338Win cases into 358NM cases, though they formed well they were too short, so I gave that up pretty quickly.
And since 7mmRem cases are the same length they will also come out too short

If you must form 358Norma cases rather than simply buy
358Norma brass from Cabela's or Midway(for about a buck apiece) then the proper cases to use are 300Win Mag cases, they come out long enough that trimming is required....

What I'd like to understand how anone could justify paying more than $2 each for 358Norma Mag Brass from A-square
Midway gets $43 for 20 A-suare 358NM cases and to me that's simply rediculous.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnly,

Where can I get once fired 338 Win mag brass?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ask the question for two reasons - curiousity and because I have a lot of new 7mm mag brass that I got for very
cheap. I will never own a 7mm Mag. I have been cutting it off at 2 inches and using it for 458x2 brass. Also,
I tried new Winchester 300 Win mag brass in my forming die and it was a no-go even using Imperial sizing wax.
I guess I should have tried Remington 300 WIN MAG brass instead - it is much softer.

I get brass from many sources, mainly friends giving it to me, so I don't mind experimenting. I will NOT pay
Norma's ridicuously high price for their 358 Norma Brass. I don't mind the 338 brass ending up a bit short.
It just means I don't have to trim it for a long time.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I figuired it 200cases will last the life of the rifle.

And considering that the 358Norma is an '03 springfield
done by J.W.VanPatten that the cost of the brass wasn't really that significant.

I just didn't see the point of fighting with forming
brass, yeah I did make up 100 cases out of virgin Remington 300WinMag brass 15 or so years ago
when the genuine Norma 358WM Brass was simply unobtainable...

It's not like I shoot the rifle all that much...

AllanD

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Old Elk Hunter .338 work just fine and it seems a little more user freindly than the Norma brass. I trim all my brass to the same length and use a Lee crimp die as the bullets that live in the bottom of the magazine take a pounding during the fall season and tend to shorten.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 358Norma on a Ruger S/S in the planning. At this stage I'll be using 300WinMag brass even though I have 458WM and 7mmRemMag brass on hand. The Norma brass retails for AUD$150 per 100 in Australia. The 300WinMag brass offers enough of a cost saving to justify time spent at the press/trimmer compared to Norma brass.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
I've got a 358Norma on a Ruger S/S in the planning. At this stage I'll be using 300WinMag brass even though I have 458WM and 7mmRemMag brass on hand. The Norma brass retails for AUD$150 per 100 in Australia. The 300WinMag brass offers enough of a cost saving to justify time spent at the press/trimmer compared to Norma brass.
Cheers...
Con

when I first set out to make 300Win cases into
358Norma cases I started with virgin 300Win brass and I fireformed it using the Cream-of-Wheat method, only setting the shoulder back was required before it would fit into the chamber and that was accomplished by running it into a 358Norma FL sizer with the expander decapper stem removed.

18grains of Red Dot and a full case of C-o-W,
After that the remaining forming was easier.

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I bought my 358 Norma brass as ammo. Grafs was closing out Norma 358Norma 250Woodleighs for a price that was cheaper than buy factory ammo. So I picked up all they had. In another few years I'll have to reload.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like Brassman in out of 338 at the moment

http://www.brassmanbrass.com/inventory-001-1.html

I'll poke around and see if I can find someone who has 338 in stock.

John in Oregon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple places that have 338 Once fired brass:

http://www.blue-star-inc.com/rbrass.htm

http://www.brassreloading.com/once-fired-brass.html

John in Oregon

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't know what brand you are looking for. Grafs and midway have Rem, winchester and Norma

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnly,

Those two web sites are interesting - thanks.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!