New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3-284
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you, I don't know how long this 788 and barrel has been sitting and waiting. That goes for stocks unfinished, some guns that need to be blued etc,etc. I told myself I was going to finish a project before I started something else, ........ yeah, that lasted a long time. Big Grin
I have about a thousand each Horn and Sierra 68's & 69 grn-ers. That's what got me going on a 22-243.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't post reloading data but Reloaders Nest and AR reloading pages give excellent data...my pages show RL 15/17/19, H4350/4831, H380 of course, H/IMR 4895 and 748 all doing well depending on bullet weight... accuracy depended on how much effort I put into bullet/case prep. 2-3's if I worked, easy 5's when I slipped...when I kept the tolerances close easy-peasy...shoot the outliers to see the difference the work makes...1"+ was the norm.

All the 22-250's and 22-243's I had all shot the 53 Horn HPM with just about any of the correct powders (H4895 is classic and one of the original loadings). I couldn't get Nos 60 Parts much below 6-7's but that's great for (dare I say it), Deer, but 70 Gr semi pointed Sierras would sometimes do bugholes as very decent velo's...and cases don't stretch much past the initial 2-3 firings. I think I wore the Douglas barrel out before many of the cases died.

I've used up three barrels over the years...one OEM 220 S Ruger, one Douglas air gauged #7 contour, 1-12, and one Shilen #4(I think???)1-12...the Encore is about half gone and I'm going easy on it and using up the other rifles.

You can save the barrel by basically loading about 100fs over Swift velos per bullet weight. This doesn't strain the boiler and still kicks 220 azzzzzz. Big Grin

Luck tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Has anyone necked the .325 WSM to 9.3?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Never mind.Should have gone down two or three pages:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6521043/m/3411007602

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In todays world...the moment a new case hits the market, or even a rumor of a new case, it gets necked up and down to the max by someone.

In the old days having a reamer made was costly and time consuming and only done by a few knowledgeable individuals...today a CNC machine can whip out a reamer drawing/reamer, for chamber or loading dies, in almost less time than talking about it, and for beer/cigarette money mostly...dies not much more.

My last reamer was $135 plus $5 and change priority shipping... Dies were $208 +SH because it was for a 1-1/4" body. I've paid $150 for a reamer 30-40 odd years ago plus half again as much for a sizer die only...I was making $35 a hour last job I held...back in the 60's it was a whole lot less...about one magnitude less.

I LOVE todays availability/costs AND UNIFORMITY...I can do a barrel/dies for some really odd ball caliber for much less than the price of a weekend in Vegas or a fishing trip to the coast and have a toy that will last a lifetime. tu2

Keep asking Bill... beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Has anyone necked the .325 WSM to 9.3?

Not a 9.3 but I have just had built a 9.5WSM (375WSM if you prefer)

Posts: 39 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...that one too...

How's that working out, Mikee...I have a 20" 375 H&H barrel left over from a project and I'm thinking of doing just that same thing...cutting 2" of the chamber end, then threading it for a stub barrel on an NEF frame...would make a neat 18" SS brush gun with 350 gr Woodleigh RN Weldcor's as long as I don't push it too far.

Don't say anything to the NEF boys...last time I suggested doing a .532" cartridge, the roof came down. Frowner Whistling flame

Luck beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Yeah...that one too...

How's that working out, Mikee...I have a 20" 375 H&H barrel left over from a project and I'm thinking of doing just that same thing...cutting 2" of the chamber end, then threading it for a stub barrel on an NEF frame...would make a neat 18" SS brush gun with 350 gr Woodleigh RN Weldcor's as long as I don't push it too far.

Don't say anything to the NEF boys...last time I suggested doing a .532" cartridge, the roof came down. Frowner Whistling flame

Luck beer

200gn Sierra @ 3050 with a stout load of BM2 is as fr s I have got so far. Going to try 235tsx or 260 Accubonds next but I will only be using on deer at this stage

Posts: 39 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No moss on that rock for sure, Mikee...right up there with the "big Boys" speed wise...Those short "fat bodies" are very efficient and can use smaller amounts of faster burning powders to get the same velo as the larger cases...saves a few nickels and dimes for similar output.

What barrel length and action???

I bought a Savage 375 Ruger a couple years ago on sale (saved $75) to replace my cut down 375 H&H because I wanted the cartridge AND the newer action and I built a 375 JDJ basically because I had a Savage axis receiver and a set of RCBS high dollar dies lying around bugging me. A 375 WSM should work great in the even shorter barrel and fit right in with the rest.

Happy New Years space dancing beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What barrel length and action???

17 inch barrel. Rem M700 LA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice...so my 18" will be in the ballpark.

I like 225gr Horn, 235 Speer SSP and 235 Woodleigh's in my 375 JDJ and 300 gr in the (now defunct) 375 H&H and Ruger...guaranteed to take out sage rats and bury them too.

Not familiar with BM2 powder...can you translate/equate into American powders...

Thanks Luck tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Nice...so my 18" will be in the ballpark.

I like 225gr Horn, 235 Speer SSP and 235 Woodleigh's in my 375 JDJ and 300 gr in the (now defunct) 375 H&H and Ruger...guaranteed to take out sage rats and bury them too.

Not familiar with BM2 powder...can you translate/equate into American powders...

Thanks Luck tu2

ADI are an Australian company who as I understand it have their products re=badged and on-sold by various "manufacturers"
ADI Equivilants

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All right...Thanks...haven't been to that page or Accurate shooter for a while...definitely a new look.

Benchmark 2...I use a lot of Benchmark in my smaller cals...it's great in my 6mm-284 and 22-243 with the lighter bullets...scary velo and accuracy...real purple haze on sageratz.

Found a Rem SPS in 300 WSM relatively cheap...be a nice basis for the 375 WSM...and maybe a 416 WSM although I would rather use a Marlin 450 M for that conversion...that particular action has "V" threads instead on square threads so plenty of meat left in the chamber area...and it's already been converted to a 450 Yukon AKA 45 WSM.

I might also completely loose it and do the 50 cal barrel for my Savage 338 Lapua...magazine will work for my wildcat 50 cal, already checked it when I bought the Savage several years ago and haven't yet found a roundtuit to get started. Big Grin Roll Eyes

Thanks again for the into... tu2

Luck beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im sorry I don't see these issues as an argument, they should be nothing more than opinnions and conversation..

If one just wants everyone to jump out their arse and agree with them, the idea of a forum is lost..

I would think those who ask should expect honest opinnions from the posters and listen to those opinnions and do whatever blows your skirt up....but if you ask, lets discuss the pros and cons of it...

It gives forums a bad rap to do otherwise.

BTW, I shot the 500 Jefferys, the 505 Gibbs and the 505 gibbs IMP. a good deal..I wasn't happy with the feeding, whoever was at fault, but it was of little importance and I found the recoil a bit tough on the body. I shot the 284 a lot in a savage 99, and one in a Mauser 98..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
How thin does the neck walls get going to 9.3 from 7mm?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
...it appears that I have created an argument with the rebated rim " issue " rotflmo

...anywho, my reasons for these particular cases and calibres was stated at the start of this post...

Thanks Dr Lou but I can't see that a .358 Win. could come anywhere near a 9.3-284 load ( this will surely stir up another maelstrom of comments Big Grin ) ....and tell me, no disrespect intended, but why do American shooters compare everything to the .358 Win. or the .35 Whelen ?

Roger

Roger, sorry I am Late to the party. No disrespect taken. I am only guessing, but because of their ubiquitousness and reputation in the states, folks here use the 308 and 30-06 as a standard to compare the effectiveness of most other cartridges in their performance range. Since the 358 win and 35 Whelen use the same respective cases as their 30 cal brethren, I could see using them to compare cartridges of similar bore diameter and case capacity, e.g., 9.3-284, 9.3x62, 9.3x57...

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a tubing micrometer to measure neck walls, and I hate to cut one apart to flatten it. Visually, it looks fine. I have crap loads of win factory .284 ammo, and just fire them in the 375/284 chamber and let them rattle down the bore. I have not annealed any case necks, and I know some of the brass has been loaded at least 8 times and no split necks. It does seem to be tough brass.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
A tubing mic is not needed a plain dial caliper will do just fine.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, if I did it right. .0130

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have a dog in the fight but saw a set of dies on eBay for the 9.3/284. Lynn

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to be blunt, but.....how much $?$?....any chance of a link or a pic of the page ???

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just put 9.3x284 reloading dies in eBay search engine. Redding dies buy it now $74.99 with $8.99 shipping that is a amazing price. Lynn

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
WTF....those dies didn't sell in the last two weeks and they've gone from $75 back up to $99.99 Confused...if I could have gotten hold of my mate in the states I would have bought them a week ago Mad

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......sorry to drag this out again.....I ended up buying the dies from evilbay.....9.3x284, 8-06 RCBS Imp, and .30 Herrett ( in original TC Contender box )for $210 USD delivered...thanks Lynn

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
If, in fact, the rebated rim wasn't a problem, then why did WR develop the clip holders on the Mausers they produced in .425 WR, a rebated case. As I said this system changed the story on the rebated case and made it work..just another opinion in that many want to use famous names as experts..I am pretty sure that WR knows as much or more than those named when it comes to building rifles, at least in most cases.

Its not an issue with me, and I only speak for myself on the thread..to each his own in every instance on guns, ammo and hunting as it should be..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a .35-284 on a BLR a few years ago. Great gun - light, easy handling, hits hard. It's a great short action medium bore. I'd say it's power is almost a .35 Whelen; most like a 9.3x57 but that's splitting hairs. I've really enjoyed it but decided to sell it as I'm moving on to other gun projects.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...Ray...aren't opinions and conversations nothing but arguments and visa versa...playing with words or ????. I spend more time playing with Mr. P.O. A's goodies and my own ruminations on "What if's" than I do having breakfast some years.

Status quo or wild-eyed weird-o, just look at all the modern cartridges we have now, that we WOULDN'T HAVE, without BOTH the staid folks that stick to the old and those needing "something different" because once those "Jes** Chri** look at that godoffle thing that ***** came out with" and "man isn't that cool" Big Grin people BOTH end up buying them.

We BOTH been at this game long enough, and done enough wildcats to see what can be done with pretty much ALL cartridge cases, INCLUDING the "modern" ones...I think a lot of these varying "differences" in wildcatting cases depends on WHERE you are at as far as hunting goes AND as a gunsmith selling your product...I can see a LOT of opinions and discussions going on when someone wants something totally strange, but very useful for their purposes and a gunsmith trying to steer them into something "much better" in the 'smiths "opinion" because he might have the reamer and an excellent action requiring few mods ready to work or can see what a mess the requester is about to commit.

There are ALWAYS many sides to a story.

Good Hunting Big Grin tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3-284 would be something to consider if you had one of the Husqvarna 9.3x57's. Those rifles with the 96 action were very nimble. Alas, I've come across a couple that have had very large chambers.
The 284 case would clean up the chamber diameter and give you a close to the 9.3x62, which was also chambered in some 96 actions. The greatest boon would be to fit in the slightly shorter box magazine.

So, if you have and old Husky 96 in 9.3x57. Set the barrel back a thread and rechamber to 9.3x284. a bit of massaging on the rails to feed and present the next cartridge well, and you should have a neat conversion.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I'd like to thank you all for your interesting comments over the last two years ( wow, that long? )but Ive made a slight change to the original formula by going to the 6.5x55BJAI case instead of the .284......easier to get down here and I already got several hundred once fired cases.
I have decided to go the economy route on this first switch barrel ( mainly because I have the bits already and its less expensive if I stuff up )
I've finally sorted out all of my bits and pieces, and this is the goods to date....m96 action, 24" 6.5x55 military barrel, Champion plastic stock ( ramline ), std m96 triggerguard/floorplate, ljungman mag modded to trench mag and a selection of mounts, scopes, sights and odds and ends.
My next question is would a 6.5 m96 barrel bored out to 9.3 and cut to 20" be rigid enough? After the reinforce around the chamber the barrel is straight and untapered at .765" ( 19.45mm )
I was hoping these matching barrels would be easier to fit in the stock, similar to Ray Atkinsons BRNO switch barrel.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....... a pic of the dummied up 9.3 set-up...

I will probably go with a scout scope on the 9.3 barrel in QD mounts with a standard scope in similar mounts on the action for the 6.5...to give me options...the calibre combination should cover just about any game situation out to 200m, short of DG.

As I live on an island, this should enable me to carry a one-gun setup (1xstock, 2xbarrels, 3xscopes, 1xbox mag and 1xstandard floorplate/trigger guard) for most of my trips away....and just the fact that I always wanted to build one of these, whether they are practical or not tu2

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to disagree, I see talking guns on the internet or around a campfire as intelligent interesting conversation, and in some cases education, but never as an arguments, and never as playing with words..

BTW thinking back I built a custom 99 Savage in 338/284..it almost equaled the 338-06, and the rebated cases feed thru the 99s spiral magazine quit well, but the action normally handles about 2 grs. less than max book loads in any caliber, thus the "almost"

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120