THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Building a .22-250AI and ahave some questions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a .22-250AI and ahave some questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted
I'm planning on building a .22-250AI next summer and have a few question as I'm planning things. First of all the action will be from my Savage 16FLHSS and I'm planning on going with a Shilen 26" Heavy Sporter barrel. I'm not sure of which stock yet. I'm thinking of staying with the 1-12" rate of twist my rifle currently has as I'm planning on shooting mainly 55grn bullets out of it. The big question is what version of the .22-250AI do I go with. Shilen lists a .247" and .255 version. Does anyone have any info of these? The area of Canada I'm located in doesn't have much in way of knowledgeable custom smiths to help me out.

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Unless you are planning on turning the necks of your cases I believe you need to stay with the .255 version

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I figured you got some good answer here.

http://www.predatormastersforu...=1480745#Post1480745

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted Hide Post
Doesn't hurt to ask around.

Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my 22-250AI built around my Rem700 VSSFII, it's actually a switch barrel with the AI barrel being 28" long. I kept with the 14" twist on mine, which is perfectly OK for 55-60gr bullets at these velocities.
I went with the .255" neck on mine, because I didn't want to have to turn necks, but whatever floats your boat! It's totally up to you what you want to do.
If you go with the .247" neck, you will have to turn necks, so keep that in mind when you order your chamber job.
One thing about the AI version, it's more accurate than the standard 22-250, and on a par with my 220Swift, which is a real tack driver!
Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12" is a very poor twist selection,given Today's projectile selection. .247" is a very poor neck choice,given Today's relative brass quality...while also precluding the ability to FF factory fodder.

55's are a poor selection,commensurate with the above.

If enthralled with 12",50's will outshine the 55's,due to the speed increase nipping the minute BC difference. To really do this splendid chambering justice,1-8" is where it's at,though I suffer them in 7.7" and 9" also. 8" will really cook with 75's and you can do no better.

The .435BC 75 A-Max at 3500fps really opens windows of opportunity. '15 is your Huckleberry.

Thank me later.