New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm -08 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me about this wildcat ?? I fancy one as a deer rifle/range rifle.

Can it be built on any short rifle action ?

What barrel length would be ideal ?

What barrel profile would you recommend ?

What rate of twist ?

I have a .308 A-bolt could i get it converted ??

Thanks for any help.....

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also known as the 260 AI (and I believe the 6.5 Panther, if memory serves). As with most of the 308 family, a small gain is realised with improving. There are are gains in brass life and lessened bolt thrust (in theory). You're A bolt can be converted (as can any action suitable for a 308) just rebarrel, I don't think anything longer then a 22" tube would be required, and if I was building it for myself I would probably go with a finished length of 20" on a lightweight barrel (#2 or less). Twist would probably be a 9 or 10, as I like the heavier 6.5 bullets (better downrange ballistics). FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Englander,
As far as twist is concerned, I would go with a 1 in 9 if you intend on using up to 130 grain bullets. I have had experience with 140 grain x-bullets keyholing out of a 1 in 9.25 barrel. If 140's are your fancy, I'd go with a 1 in 8.

H380

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Unless you just want something different the 260 Rem or 6.5 x55 loaded to higher pressures will do the same job, especially with 140 gr and lighter bullets. The 160s project way into the case, wiping out some of the advantage of the AI. If the goal is something different then the 6.5 Arch (6.5 x 55 Improved) is a good round, too.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the arch is a sweet round, but i dont think that it will fit in a short action. mines on a 700 long and there is a lot of room in the mag still. it might work and it would be close if it wasnt.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Englander,
If you wish to stay with a short action of some type, I would suggest no more than the 140gr bullets.
The 6.5 Arch and the 6.5x55 BJAI would do better in a medium length action (a la '98 Mauser)or a long action.

I have in the almost completed stage a 6.5/08AI but it is intended as a long-range varminter/deer/antelope rifle. A Rem 788 action with a 25" Pac-Nor stainless, 1 in ll" twist, #5 contour with a Holland varminter muzzle brake. It is short-throated to handle the 100gr or less bullets(maybe a Nosler 125gr partition). A Canjar single-set trigger and a McMillan Winchester target-style stock. It still needs to be glass/pillar bedded to be finished. I will be using Lapua 243 brass necked up to 6.5 before fire-forming. Hopefully after completion it will perform up to expectations.

Using heavier than 140gr bullets I would suggest you look into the 6.5x55 BJAI or the 6.5 Arch. You would achieve much better velocities with these cartridges than you would with the 6.5/08AI but they are not feasible in a short action.

In any event, you have selected the best caliber there is--the better than wonderful 6.5. Good luck in your quest!

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote