Find
Notify
Tools

Revival of the .30 & .35 Newton!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those who asked: Where can I get a .30 Newton,
or .35 Newton...Harry McGowen of St. Anne, IL....
long time barrel maker is now chambering barrels for the .30 & .35 Newton. So, although the original Newton rifles are scarce, the cartridges can be used in modern or surplus Mauser actions, etc. The .30 Newton has given me 3,300 fps with 180 gr. .308 bullets in a McGowen Barrel, and the factory .35 Newton listed as 2975 fps with a .358,
250 gr, bullet (3,000 fps for all practicality)...
McGowen's phone number is: 815-937-9816.
This availability is courtesy of Marc Donaldson,
who got this project going...pls. mention his name if you call Harry. Any other questions get
back on this thread to me. Best Regards, Tom Big Grin

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
What am I missing? My data show the 30 Newton to have the same capacity as the 300WM. Why would I expect more velocity? Only advantage I see is no belt. I've never seen the belt as a problem.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod: You are partly correct...those who like
the Newton cartridges like this: compared to the .300 WinMag: The .30 Newton is shorter & a fatter body...has a longer neck...has no belt. So, its .30-06 length is desireable to many...and no belt...lots like the beltless magnum types. For those who think about case design...its a superior design thanks to Chas Newton who did more wildcatting than anyone else to date. My .30 Newton has a 24" barrel & will outdo my .300 Weatherby (Southgate original Weatherby) with a 24" barrel. So, its basically an argument as "why bother?" as you say...but there are some of us who prefer the Best instead of also rans...I think the .300 WinMag is a lousy design...neck too short for one thing.
Tom Smiler

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ps..one other item...you can get two cases of same
capacity...one will have better preformance than the other. Why? Case design is different. Thats one reason why the new ones like .300 Win.shortmags
perform better...case design, not only capacity.
Tom Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always thought the Newton cartridges should have been brought out in the M70s back when the M70 was first conceived. This instead of ther H&H cartridges and, later, the Winchester magnums. This didn't happen though (mostly because Newton managed to alienate everyone else in the trade).
Ultimately these cartridges were brought back, albeit with belts, in the form of the 308 and 358 Norma. If you look at the chamber drawings, the 308 Norma is the 30 Newton with the case reduced in diametr enough to produce the belt. In all other rspects-length, shoulder angle etc.- it is the same.
With a long enough barrel and no fear of pressure, a person may well be able to get 3300 with 180s but it won't be the result of anything special in the case design. It will, instead, be the result of loading to pressures which, in the long run, are inadvisable. regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: You are correct re. pressures...I think my computer load program showed 63,000 pressure units with the .30 Newton. However, with a strong action that is high, but not necessarily dangerous. I just was interested to see the potential of the case. However, as P.O. Ackley used to point out, there are "efficient" cases & heavily overbore cases. I have both .308 & .358 Norma chambered rifles...the .308 Norma & .30 Newton are quite similar, but not exactly the same. Comparing them side by side, the .308 Norma's shoulder is farther forward than the .30 Newton & the shoulder itself is different. But
very close in overall size. I think both are very good cartridges & often wonder in the gun copycat world whether Norma took its design idea from the older .30 Newton? But your statement that they measure the same is incorrect...I have an original .30 Newton case & .308 Norma sitting atop my computer table & the differences are visually different, without even measuring. But you can make .30 newton cases from .308 Norma, the easiest is .338 WinMag...the belt will center the .338 case in the chamber & when fireformed...it flattens out (looks odd)...but according to a brass case maker here...doesn't affect strength. I know of .30 Newton rifle shooters than use formed .338 brass for their .30 Newtons & have so for years.
Thanks for your input! The comment Newton irritated a lot of rifle companies is true...he wrote for the forerunner of the American Rifleman & others...was a real innovator & raised the dickens with the big companies for not making better products, etc. so was an irritant to them. Bruce Jennings, a friend, who was regarded as the ultimate Newton authority &
book author, told me he thought when Newton went to Marlin for a partnership deal, Marlin was probably disinclined to deal with Chas Newton due to the bad feelings over the years. Part of the reason, anyway.
Best Regards, Tom Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Would that be 63000 psi or cup??. Curious what powder you are using and the length barrel. Loadtech doesn't allow me to get close to 3300.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have always had a strong interest in the 35 Newton. Its good to hear of McGowen making barrels
for the cartridge.

Where and how can you make brass to accomindate it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ramrod & Prescott: Ramrod: I use loadtech too.
I think it was PSI...I used 77.3 gr. R22, 180 gr.
Sieras for avg. of 3339 fps for 10 shot avg. over the chrony...pressure 63,900 from looking back at my recorded data, I think I'll reduce to 75-76 gr.
& try for about 3150 fps...& less pressure. I'm thinking the new IMR 7828 SSC will be a good powder to try...I got the load from the A-Square Manual for .308 Norma Mag (quite close in size) which had a top load of 77 gr. R22 for the .308 Norma.
For Prescott: A bunch of us are trying to persuade Steve Hornady of Hornady to make a new run of .30 & .35 Newton new brass...their marketing people need to be convinced there is interest & demand in this...so write a nice, pleading letter to Steve & he very well may make a run of new brass! Which would be great! A few minutes writing a nice letter would be appreciated by us Newton fans! Otherwise...the easiest is to use .338WinMag brass...fireform it with the belt inside the chamber, let it flatten out...and you will have .35 Newton brass.
(Use the reduced charge, no bullet & cornmeal stuffed case first)...
But new brass may be forthcoming if we can convince Hornady there is a real interest & demand for the Newton cartridges.
"Illigitimi Non Corborundum". Big Grin
Best Regards, Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
ps...forgot one item..its is a 24" barrel of the .30 Newton

Tom