Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22x284
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for info on this round like, best powders and bullets with a 8 twist.Thanks inadvance.Walt

Posts: 7 | Location: Sparrowbush,New York,orange | Registered: 02 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contender,

Played with this round very little but have played with its big brother the 6mm-284 a hell of a lot.

Have learned a few things that are not real good with the 6mm-284 and would be even worse with the 22-284.

Powder wise, the very slow burners are what you want, starting with Rl-25 and perhaps H-Retumbo. H-870 is a good powder to is you have some. H-50BMG will also work with the heavy bullets.

With this case capacity, only the heaviest bullets will do well as far as performance advantages over smaller 22 rounds. The 77 and 80 gr VLD designs are right for the 1-8" twist.

Problem here is that you have more horsepower then these fast spinning VLD bullets will handle. In my 6mm-284, the 105 gr bullets from Hornady and Berger let loose at around 3250-3300 fps. The Sierra 107 gr Mk will survive up to around 3600 fps before the strain is to much.

Lost River Ballistics has high B.C. bullets on the market for these types of rounds but from the reports I am hearing, they are not shooting very well and cost 4 to 5 times what the Sierra rounds will run you.

As a gunsmith I would recommend a slightly smaller round such as the 22-250 AI up to the 22-243 AI class. These are still very large 22 cailber rounds that will get very good performance with the VLD bullets in a fast twist barrel but will be easier on your barrel.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote