Find
Notify
Tools

AI sizer die for 6.5/06AI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
I was planning to order a 6.5/06 sizer die from the smith doing the work on my friends custom job and just fire form to AI but he suggested ordering a AI version. I didnt ask him cause I was on my way out in a hurry but now I'm thinking does this make sense? Does this elliminate the need to fire form to get the shoulder right? Should I bother with the AI version or just fire form then neck size til I replace the brass? I'm planning on the neck sizer anyways.

I'm of course going to get him to explain himself but I want to know ahead what other people are doing so I can give him the green light or say to hell with it and just get me what I asked for in the beginning.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Once the brass is formed it will not fit into the standard die. Get the AI dies load it and fireform. You must fireform to blow the shoulder out. You can get by with some of the necksize only dies provided they have enough room to allow the AI case to enter. In a target rifle with a near perfect chamber necksizing only will work. However each time you fire, the case will get just a touch tighter making it just a little harder to chamber. I like too just bump the shoulder on my hunting brass to insure easy chambering.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
redding makes the die for FL, NK, and ST in the 40* variety (that's the ones I use). And YES,.you should NOT ORDER the standard 6.5-06 dies as they are useless after fireforming, except the seater.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm aware it wont fit into a standard die after fireforming. I can neck size with a Hornady New Dimensions 6.5 neck sizer also. One size fits all.

I guess what I'm asking is would it make sense to just use the AI die to size the neck down from 270? I'm assuming the shoulder is far enough back on the 270 brass not to be a problem. I was wondering if it was better to just use the 6.5/06 die to size down since I'll be neck sizing after that. I also know some people suggest that its better not to neck size your hunting loads because of chambering issues at a critical moment so having the AI die seems to make sense.

Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would think the necksizer would handle the move from 270 to 6.5X06. Remember the 270 brass is longer than 06. 2.54 vs 2.49" When you neck it down it will get longer as well. Make sure it isn't too long for your chamber.

The 270, 06, 25-06, 336-06, 35 Whelen all have the same headspace. So neck it down trim to length if necessary. It should be a tight fit in your chamber. AI chambers done right will be a crush fit on factory cases.

Like I said I normally bump the shoulder. If I have a round that I neck size only I will just check how each round chambers ahead of time and keep the tight ones for non-critical times.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the improved die to size down from 30-06 and up from 25-06 for mine. All it is doing basicly is changing neck dia. I have not owned the standard dies, so the improved is all I have worked with. I ASSume you already have a standard die? If so, then forming for fireforming will be just fine with the standard die. If it is correctly chambered, it should STILL crush into the shoulder of a unformed case. I have 3 ackelys and they all size just fine for forming in the parent die,..but never after the first firing. And YES, if it will be neck sized for say only 1/2 the neck, the shoulder angle will never come into play (assuming the die body allows the no taper case to reach the full stroke on the press).

BTW, RL22 and 4831sc for the 140's.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot guys.

The smith is still waiting for the reamer damn it!!

Too many people........