Find
Notify
Tools

338 Extreme Rifle and ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted
Has anyone seen anything about the 338 Extreme ctg. It is a necked down 408Chey. Tac ctg.
Supposed to be much faster than the 338 Lapua Mag.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I know is the brass is supplied by Bertram. I saw them coming off the machines a few months back.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Thanks Con
I have had very bad results with Bertram brass in the past. I got some 45-120 brass for my Sharps Rifle and had to work on the brass quite a bit to be able to load it. Rims too thick. The primer pocket seemed a bit to soft as they got loose after only 2 firings with a mild load. Have you had much experience with that brass?
Take Care
Bob

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
There are too many good/bad stories from Bertram brass to think anything but lot to lot variations may be causing some of the issues. His brass in some cartridges is also extraordinarily thick, so internal capacity is reduced and pressures soar when you try and match ballistics from other brass types. If you have no other option, you learn to live with it, if something better is available you buy it. I reckon that's the best way to view Bertram brass. Always worth a try.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote