Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 8 mm wildcats?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Unfortunately, in France the 30-06 is also classified as a "military" caliber which means brass headstamped 30-06 is controlled (and unavailable without a special permit)as well. Sort of rules out the easy approach as I would also have to special order brass for the wildcat. 8X60S looks easier from that standpoint.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The easiest although not traditional european caliber would be the 8mm-06. It requires not boltface mods and also likely no feedrail mods. 8x60 would be in the same catagory although I hear reamers are getting hard to find? This would be my first choice since it is the more "authentic" cartridge.

Next would be the calibers Johan suggests. Several of my friends and I are contemplating the 8x68S.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the 8x60 was designed specifically to address the problem you have. It is a very simple chamber alteration and preserves the character of the rifle. Check with your local laws and see if I'm right. Good Luck

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Exactly, the 8x60 was designed to address exactly this issue. However, I'm under the impression that reamers are hard if not impossible to find?

As to the 8mm-06/8x63 you can use .270 brass or even 25-06 to circumvent the .30-06 headstamp.

I'd personally like to see you go the 8x60 route.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To chamber an 8mm/.376,short chamber with an 8mm Rem.Mag reamer.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Johan,
I know of the 8X68S as it is a standard loaded cartridge (I think the bolt face would need to modified and I am not sure about the length of the cartridge in a standard Mauser action). I don't know the 8X64S. From what case is it derived?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
8X60S if a reamer is available. Otherwise an 8X64S or an 8mm/06! The 8X64 is essentially a European versioin of an 8mm/'06, but I think the case is not exactly derived from any other case.

<JOHAN>
posted
Wink

It's bascily a necked up 7X64 Brenneke. S&B and Brenneke make 8X64S ammo. The 8mm Mazon is a 9,3X64 Brenneke necked down to 8mm No need for any 8mm-376 Steyr http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/8-9,3x64S-Brenneke-Mazon.htm

Cheers

/ JOHAN

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

I think the obvious answer would be the 8mm-06

Bwana-be

I know the obvious answer would be 8X64S or 8X68S depending on the performance you want...

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the obvious answer would be the 8mm-06. Not sure if you want to carve on it. You might be able to rechamber to 8mm-376 Steyr without hassling much with ramp, rails, etc. Not sure if the case head would fit your boltface; have to check.
But with that you would have a nice and powerful chambering with absolutely no military interest!
What's more, I'm not sure anyone has made it yet!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have an Oberndorf Mauser in 8 X 57, stored with my brother in the USA. It's a very nice rifle, scope with claw mounts, two-leaf iron sights, etc. This caliber is considered a "military" caliber in France and therefore "controlled". To get it out of the controlled category I am thinking about rechambering. Any suggestions on a good rechambering caliber for the 8mm?

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I thought it was possible to get a reamer made for just about any cartridge so long as you had the dimensions and the money handy?

Since this is a European cartridge, has anyone checked with Lothar Walther to see they chamber for this? Buying a long chambered barrel could sure solve the reamer problem...

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote