New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Barnes Supreme
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone familiar with this wildcat? (pg 543 Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions c1987) It appears to be a slightly more straight wall modification of the .375 H&H than the .416 Remington. My goal is .416 ballistics with a little less pressure. It would also be nice to be able to fire "factory" 416 Rem in a pinch.

Rifle is being built from Montana Rifle M1999 long action w/ Magnum boltface. Thoughts, comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Clint

Safe Hunting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar at all. I know he did a 416 on the 45-70, but entirely different animal.
Might I suggest - since you're obviously up for a wildcat and the extra work it entails, and since you mentioned less pressure - that you take a look at the 416 Dakota or something like it.
That 404 case will fit your rifle about the same as the H&H, and with .541" at the base instead of .511" there's plenty of room to do what you need without ramping it up.
It would (/will) definitely be my choice in 416.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
all the barnes supreme line are built on SUPER quick twist guns. Pick up ackley's handloaders books, vI and II.

i THINK it's based off the weatherby case, but i could be totally wrong.

the concept behind the supremes was to have a VERY VERY high SD/heavy for caliber bullet, running at the same speeds as a lower SD bullet...

my opinion? the 416 rem is the baddest them you put on a "standard" magnum casehead... including the 470 capstick.

jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The goal is for something that will still fire 416 Rem Since it is widely available.
I have this thing for "backup" caliber because on my first guided hunt, my ammo was separated from my rifle en route, and I was without for the first three days.
Odds are it will never happen to me again, but I have this buddy names Murphy... you know.

Safe Hunting,
Clint

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Not quite ALL Barnes Supreme rifles were built on "super quick twist" barrels, or even on quick twist barrels.

My .404 Barnes Supreme, which I have had for 35 years or so, has a barrel twist rate of 1 turn in 12 inches. It is exactly like the .416 Barnes Supreme cartridge case, except uses .411 diameter bullets.

I use mine as a "switch-barrel" rifle. When it is not wearing its .404 Barnes apparel, it is disguised as a 7 m/m Weatherby Mag, which is the way it happens to be today.

The Barnes Supreme series does not have the rounded shoulders of the Weatherby brass, but does have the shoulder moved forward a little from the .375 H&H position.

I can make brass by using .416 Remington cases, but have traditionally just used .375 H&H, opened the necks, loaded them with 400 gr. Barnes .411" bullets, and fire-formed.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, if they're both off the H&H case, can there be any real capacity difference in the two rounds?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote