Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270/300 win mag
 Login/Join

posted
The more time Ispend on this site the more respect Ihave for y'all, the knowledge and information available here is amazing. Anyhoo, I have a Ruger No. 1-B in .270 win. Can I run a .300 Win Mag chamber reamer in there and then simply neck the .300 Win Mag cases down to .277 and keep all the same angles and get a low cost and simpler .270 Weatherby? Maybe with a little more oomph? I love the .270 as it is the original "western" cartridge and a real true performer especially in the No. 1, but I want a little more, and a little more than the Weatherby with a little less cost. Any info is much appreciated.

Rock

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Posts: 7 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It would have to be a 300wmag reamer without a neck. Someone might have a 270-300 reamer. Pacnor has it on their wildcat page. You would also need some work done to the extractor.

Other option would be a 264Wmag reamer with a removable pilot. Not quite as big.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JR I don't think you are going to see much of a savings. If you have to buy a set of custom dies in .277-300 Win you are going to pay $150-$200.Watch on E-bay and you can pick up a used set of 270 Wby dies for $20-$25. If you are concerned about the price of 270 Wbt brass buy 7mm Rem brass resize it in your 270 Wby die and fireform the case. If you ever want to get rid of that rifle you will sell the 270 Wby. You will have one hell of a time finding someone to buy a wildcat even if you throw in the expensive set of dies.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 to what snowman said. You're better off doing the 270 Weatherby, as its a standard chambering. While I'm all for wildcats, if you're goal is quick and simple, the 270 Wby is you're best bet. Like stated, you can use 7mmRM brass to form 270 Wby, and 7mmRM brass is cheap and plentiful. Heck if you really wanted to save, check the auction sites, or the classifieds here, and pick up some 1x fired 7RM brass even cheaper. Most gunsmiths are going to have a 270 Wby reamer, and dies are easy to come by. You'll get all the oomph without the costs of a wildcat.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Then again ... if you had a rifle chambered, couldn't you use a 300WinMag FL die as a body die and a Hornady Universal 270cal neck sizing die for the neck, seat projectiles with a 7mmRemMag seater or 270Wby seater. Where there's a will there's a way.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys, but alas no wildcats for me yet. I just ordered a 700 CDL in 7mmRem Mag. This will do everything I am looking for and I get to keep my sweet No. 1 in original issue condition.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Posts: 7 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With Quote