Notify
Tools

22/25 Remington???????/
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted
THEN....

About once a decade or so, I wonder why Remington, in the 1920's or early 1930's, never necked their 25 Remington case down to 22 and sold it in their P-17 (AKA Model 30)? It would have been cutting edge at the time. Yet in all my reading of old magazines of the time it was never mentioned. Did I miss something?

NOW....

A few years ago, 30 Remington was readily available, usually in dusty and unwanted boxes, some military (6.8 SPC developmental work?) on GS shelves. Now, the old stuff has disappeared and new stock are made of pure unobtanium.

SO....

Have any of you Wildcatophiles ever put together a 22/25 (or 30 or 32) Remington? Case capacity would be close to a 22/30/30 and it would fill a gap between the 223 and the 22/250 or 220 Swift. Let's call it a rimless 225 Winchester or rimless 219 Zipper Improved.

Please comment so I don't have to remember to think about it in another 10 years.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in P.O.Ackleys volume one there is a 22/4000. a necked down 25 remington. equal to the .219 zipper Ackley says.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steyrsteve:
THEN....

About once a decade or so, I wonder why Remington, in the 1920's or early 1930's, never necked their 25 Remington case down to 22 and sold it in their P-17 (AKA Model 30)? It would have been cutting edge at the time. Yet in all my reading of old magazines of the time it was never mentioned. Did I miss something?

NOW....

A few years ago, 30 Remington was readily available, usually in dusty and unwanted boxes, some military (6.8 SPC developmental work?) on GS shelves. Now, the old stuff has disappeared and new stock are made of pure unobtanium.

SO....

Have any of you Wildcatophiles ever put together a 22/25 (or 30 or 32) Remington? Case capacity would be close to a 22/30/30 and it would fill a gap between the 223 and the 22/250 or 220 Swift. Let's call it a rimless 225 Winchester or rimless 219 Zipper Improved.

Please comment so I don't have to remember to think about it in another 10 years.

Well, I gave it heavy thought when I got my .219 Donaldson Wasp barrel. I had the chamber cut so I could make cases out of the .225 Win rather than 30-30 Either one is a lot of work. I also use 6.8 Rem (comes out a little short) but now effort involved. Anecked down 30 Rem would give a little more than the Wasp and that'd what I was looking at first. Just a neck down and ream is a lot simpler than the Wasp case I have a mOD 30 IN 25 Rem and make cases by just running 30s into the full length 25 Die.

Have fun!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steyrsteve:
THEN.... Case capacity would be close to a 22/30/30 and it would fill a gap between the 223 and the 22/250 or 220 Swift.

Actually that gap is nicely filled by the 22 BR Rem. It just never got too popular with the varmint guys. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one standing in the rotary rifle rack out in the shop.

Imagine a fat benchrest stock styled by Wby.

I'm waiting for brass as well. All of the stuff I got with the rifle, complete with Balvar 6-24X scope split the case necks on the second firing, even though it was annealed.

That .496"+/- rim diameter is a major pain in the rear to deal with.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. It was scary thinking I was the first person to think of this when I know there is nothing new in the world of cartridge case combinations.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote