New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25 WSM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I made one on a savage 16. Works great, put a 24" polygonal rifled barrel from PACNOR on it. Worked up to 3350 fps with 117 Hornady BTSP. Dropped back to 3300 fps for best accuracy. Shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have one on a 1903 "national ord"

100fps less than a 257 weatherby, with my loads built around the limits of the 1903...

fine gun
zero recoil
doubt the barrel lasts 500 rounds

jeffe

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 1903 springfield isnt known for being the strongest action in the world... though i have them in 300 win, 358 win, 30-06, 7 mag, and in 257 jls (wsm)

Much like the weatherby, this is HUGELY overbore... and like the 264 (its WORSE than the 264 -- smaller bore and larger case capacity) it will be a barrel burner... at least erode the throat... it was the fisrt wildcat *I* did... as I had my reamer done the DAY winchester released the specs on the 300 for production..

It would stand to reason that this would NOT be a varmit gun.. rather, a super long range mountain rifle, the first shot counted, and there wouldn't be 5 or 6 in a minute..

as for die/reamer... my smithin' buddy has by reamer, i'm sure he'ld turn you a barrel...

dies were SIMPLE... get the redding neck bushing 300 wsm, and get the right ID insert for it.. I think it's like .293 but dont' order off my memory... and if you use 270 brass, you'll have ZERO case loss

jeffe

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote