Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 8X57 Springer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Chamber cast -> custom dies.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Does anybody out there have information / insight into special European cartridges?
I own a Springer double rifle which is marked 8X57 on the barrel flats.
When I shoot 8X57 JR through it, the brass fire forms to an unusual double shoulder. This happens in both barrels exactly the same.
My questions are: is this a special Springer proprietary cartridge? Is it OK to fireform brass this way? Who best to have make the dies for this shell?

Thank You All,

HUVIUS

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
8x57 JR is, I believe the original .318 bore diameter
("j" bore) with a rimmed case.I would definetly have a chamber cast made or at least find someone familar with the springer make of rifles.

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1936 Springer catalog but not much rifle information in it. Do you know the year your rifle was made, serial number? If it�s a rifle Springer made and not just sold by them they can tell you the caliber, when it was made and for who.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Slug the barrel if it is a .318" bore or a .323"/S-bore.

Also check if the chamber is lengthened to 8x60R(S) or 8x65R.

I think that it quite simply is a .323" bore but you are firing .318" bullets - hence the double shoulder. Slug the bore and get some 8x57 IRS cartridges. RWS, Norma or S&B have them. Please notice the difference between the bullet dimensions. You can load your own ammo with 8x57IS dies and case holder for 8x58IR(S).

Regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I thought it could have been rechambered to 8X60, so I did an impromtu chamber cast of my own with Pam and a hot glue gun and the casts are the same as the fire formed brass and the brass is still 57mm long after firing with no elongation. Both chambers are the same and the shoulder has a nice smooth radius to it - not looking at all like a reamer was used in the chambers.
I have yet to accurately measure the bore so that is why I have used the .318 bullets in it - shoots really well too.
My gun is #10154. I have a reprint of a 1924 catalog somewhere that illustrates a similar gun.
If someone has a link to Springer's website, I would appreciate it.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Serial number 10,000 started in 1912 and by 1928 they were at 10,300, not sure what if any production was during the war years.

Springer�s email is office@springer-vienna.com