Find
Notify
Tools

Do it yourself
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to build myself a .25 SAUM. The route I am considering is this:

1) Buy Savage in 7mm RSAUM. Maybe shoot it a while, save the brass.

2) Order new barrel in 25 SAUM. Can you do this?

3) Order headspace gauges, barrel nut wrench from midway. 7MM SAUM Headspace Gauge should work for 25 SAUM right?

4) Put it together.

5) Redding I believe makes full length resize dies for this caliber.

Am I missing anything? My goal is to have a rifle I can basically build myself with a minimum of tools, and minimum alteration. When I am done, I will have an acutrigger savage in my own hot rod cartridge with a premium barrel on it.

As for why 25 SAUM if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Works for me. Don't forget some way to hold the action. I don't know for sure about the headspace. In the case of the WSM the 7mm is a longer headspace than the 270 & 300 so it can't load in the 270. Like a 280Rem and 270Win. Redding, or the supplier of the headsapce guage should be able to tell you.

Unless you are going to use the tools again you might be $$ ahead to just have your smith swap barrels.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure Midway is still selling the barrels for the Savages. Last I heard they were all on clearance.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would recommed that you use new brass if you are going to form it your self so it is not work hardened.

Better yet buy the 25 SAUM brass.

Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

Posts: 15 | Location: ND | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Do they make 25 SAUM brass? I also thought I might be able to get a barrel for a savage straight from a barrel maker. This rifle project is a long way off anyway, just dreaming right now till I get the money.

Another possible caliber is 6.5mm WSM or SAUM.

One problem. Savage doesn't seem to chamber rifles in SAUM calibers. Does this mean the bolt face would be the wrong size? I would then have to stay with a WSM.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well Savage chambers for several of the WSM. Yes several barrel makers could do what you want. The WSM and SAUM should have the same size case heads.

Don't have a clue about the brass I have the 300WSM

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, why would you want a 25 SAUM when the WSM/WSSM's outperform across the board? Don't get me wrong if you say to have something different that's cool with me too.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a 25WSSM has no advantage over a .25-06 except for the short action. When you factor in the reduced magazine capacity I just don't see the appeal. I don't know why it even exists. I was shocked that winchester went with the 25WSSM instead of the 25 WSM. I have heard the reason may be that the had some trouble with the 25 WSM. I read an article in Rifle Shooter about six months ago where the author built a couple .25 SAUM's He was getting about 3500 fps with a 100 grain bullet. His opinion was that the SAUM was better suited for .25 caliber than the WSM. I also read an article in outdoor life about the 6.5 WSM. This is also a possibilty.

I am looking for a laser flat shooting cartridge that doesn't have all the recoil of a 300 ultra mag. I know a could just go with the .257 weatherby, but what fun would that be. My calculation show that a 25 SAUM will shoot a 100 grain bullet on about a .22-250 trajectory with > 1000 ft-lbs at 500 yds. All with recoil less than a .30-06. I think it would be a perfect antelope rifle, and would be a pretty good deer rifle for those of us who don't have a love affair with recoil. A 264 WSM would be excellent for all deer size game and probably would do very well for elk, due to the fact that .264 bullets can be had in heavy for caliber weights. recoil would be about the same as a .30-06 or slightly higher.

I don't need this rifle, I already have an .30-06. I just want something a little different, but not too difficult.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that, let me clarify my last. I was referring to my experiences with the WSM's over the SAUM's, the performance edge the WSM's. I know that of the short mag out there currently the only one to my knowledge that outperforms it's intended parent is the 270 WSM. Why not consider a 25-06 AI, it's nipping on the heels of the 257 WBY and I'm sure in the 100 gr bullet range it'll be just about what you want.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anyone mention one additional factor - Savage has changed the diameter of their barrels recently to better suit the WSM style rounds. When you order a barrel make sure you specify the right diameter. Measure yours when you remove it.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm going to be halfway there anyway. I happened to see a 7mm WSM at Walmart yesterday. $330 for a combo with cheapo scope on clearance. It is coming home with me if it is still there on my lunch break. I may just leave it as a 7mm.