New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lazzeroni Cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could I get the case specs for the lazzeroni long and short mag cases from someone? Any information would be much appreciated.

Rock

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What dimensions are you looking for?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
width of rim
width of groove
width at bottom of case
width at top of case
height to top of rim
height to top of goove stem
height to top of groove
height to top of body
height to top of shoulder
height to top of case
and what is the average neck thickness on the cases?all dimensions for both short and long. Any information would be much appreciated.

Rock

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, is there any interest in a 12.04 short mag? or a .358 short/long mag?

Rock

one of us
posted Hide Post
i considered one for quite sometime. a 416 short. after doing the math, read $, i decided a wildcat on the wsm or rsaum is much more cost effective. dies reamers and such. not to mention brass. and anything over the 338 must be fireformed anyway so the tiny bit of performance you gain didn't outweigh the costly action( bolt face is quite large) and above mentioned reloading costs etc etc over the wsm shorts.
just food for thought.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer the original question,
.577" - width of rim
.577" - width at bottom of case
.318" thru .557 - width at top of case [depends on caliber, and assuming you mean shoulder]
.060" - height to top of rim
2.05"/2.8" - height to top of case
Depends on caliber - average neck thickness

All data from Cartridges of the World
If you figure the Jeffery at .544" at base, and the Rigby at .589" then the Lazzeroni is a bit bigger than inbetween the two.

As for the other questions, well I'm not so interested in short mags in general, since I'm not interested in short actions.
But I have a 12mm standard-length in the planning stages, and there seems to be a growing interest in 9mm mags of all lengths lately.
I personally think the Lazz is a bit big for .358 bore, and the short mags are either weak or so fat as to not allow many in the magazine (catch-22) but the standard an long Jeffery .358's are right up my alley.
To me there's a lot of good in a 6, 7.65, 9, 10.5 and 12mm battery. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mate of mine in Australia had interest in making a rifle in the large full length Lazzeroni 338 and an email back from Lazzeroni said that 416 Rigby brass was to big to use.

I suspect Lazzeroni may have decided on a case size a bit smaller than the Rigby case so as users would have to buy his brass.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the head diameter is pretty close to that of the .404...not quite but close. The brass is quite heavy especially thru the web area of the case.....given proper care (annealing every 4th or 5th firing) the 100 pieces of brass should probably wear out the barrel.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I think he used to chamber a .358 but I don't remember which case he used. Will still do it as custom. 9.-something Eagle I think.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Lazzeroni started getting his cases made
by Mast, they were already making 450 for
Dakota which was a little smaller base than
Rigby.So that's why they went smaller than Rigby
base a little.Convenience.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I learned talking to John about it, he told me he basically started with a blank piece of paper and did not intend to copy or use any existing case head size. If you look back at his initial series of long cases there were three (3) different head sizes and after he shortened some to make the first short magnums he basically decided to standardize on the largest or approx 0.578".

posted Hide Post
To all:
I can't believe someone actually posted something about Lazzeroni!!!!!
I shoot the 7.21 Lazzeroni and have done extensive research on forming my own brass. Don't bother, beause the brass you can buy from Lazzeroni has to be considered the best. Yes, you can use 416 Rigby cases reformed but what are you going to use as your base case? My choice was Norma and by the time I bought the cases and all the equipment to do the job, the cost was much more than just buying the cases from Lazzeroni. And I don't believe you can get anything of better quality. The brass is manufactured here and when I called locally to make a deal on any 2nds, the answer was there are none. If they don't meet John's spec's, they get recyled.
Presently, I've reloaded Lazzeroni brass four times (3 times with incorrect headspacing which may have prolonged life) and they are in better shape than my 7mm Mag cases. I was trimming the 1st two reloads and now trying to let them grow to my chamber (Sako) and the expantion is very small. I expect to get at least nine times per case. I don't have them pumped up to their potential (140 grn A-frame @ 3620 & 160 grn Nso-part @ 3580) but I shoot 3/8" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds and 4" 5-shot groups @ 400 yds. My goal is to shoot a good hunting bullet 5-shots in 5" @ 500 yds.
Any information on loads or wanting information just say the word. LAZZERONI

[ 06-23-2003, 08:22: Message edited by: ESteele ]

Posts: 14 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote