Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forming 8x63mm Swedish Brass from 30/06
 Login/Join

posted
Go to www.8x63swedish.pridham.ca/forming.html for details.

Essentially I have found a way to form 8x63 brass from 30/06, 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 brass. This offers the following advantages:

- as more people (in Canada) rechamber to 8x63, this alternative eliminates dependence on a dwindling supply of brass;
- provides for boxer-primed brass. Easier and cheaper to reload, and you can use a "fresh" primer, or a Magnum (not available in Berdan);
- adds about 4% case capacity. Use the 4% to reduce pressure or add powder; and
- it's fun and educational.

I amused myself by proving several armchair experts wrong. They said that fireforming in a chamber more than a couple of thousands larger than the brass at the web would cause catastrophic case head separation. But even a 0.025" difference worked fine and after six full strength firings there was absolutely no signs of fatigue. See my website for yourself.

The greater lesson is that one can conceivably make a 30/06-based wildcat that is 10% larger in capacity than previously thought possible. Consider a 30 Gibbs profile blown out to .490 and .475 at head and shoulder from .470 and .445. The 9.3x62 is an even better candidate for conversion than the 30/06 as it is larger in the body.

Posts: 36 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With Quote