New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone develop a big 35?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
well, I'm busy throwing around a 35 whelen, and cant but wish there was something akin to a necked-up 338winmag in 358... or even a little heavier.

has anyone developed anything like this???

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the 358 STA{8mm rem. mag. expanded to 35}or the 375 rum necked to 35

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at this thread for another view point on a big cased 358.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=510565&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

I will be running M43 trials next week, weather permitting. The range is snowed in now!!!!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

There's also the 358-378 Real Guns. Put the name into search engine, Real Guns website has info about it. Insane.
Mine already busts my shoulder hard, and I haven't even taken delivery of it yet!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
358/378 data

http://www.realguns.com/loads/358378.htm

The fellow Joe who runs the site has already had the Clymer reamer made and dies done. Buy a cheap used 30/378 Synthetic and you are up an running with ease

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer the original question: the .338 Win Mag necked up to .35 is basically the .358 Norma Mag.

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have seen the 35/378 shot. it was not pretty. the guy took his brake off to shoot for some stupid reason. knocked him of the bench i cant imagine wanting more after this one. my smith has the reamer and has made a few of them. i think one of the trgs sakos would be the cheapest way to start as the bolt face and rails are ready to go. just need a barrel. the savage might work also as they did chamber in the lazz. good luck and buy a past recoil pad for your shoulder
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, yeah, there's some big 35's.
They've been made off a lengthened '06, the 300 Win, the 300 WSM, 348 Win (same as 300 WSM), the 8mm Rem, the 375 Dakota (2.5" 404J), 404 Jeffery, 300 RUM, and 378 Wb.
About all that hasn't been done is the Rigby (same as 378), and then a 2.5" version of it. Not sure if Tooley has a 35 version, but he's done a bunch of wildcats on the 8x68mm case, and they seem to do quite well.
There's some improved '06's out there (Hawk, Howell) that really give that Whelen a taste of the magnum lifestyle. These would seem the easiest, in terms of converting a 35 Whelen. No boltface mods, little if any feeding issues.
Just take a look at the bullets available, and figure how fast you want them to go, then you can figure your case capacity vs gun weight vs bb length vs operating pressures vs recoil v muzzle blast. (Did I miss anything?)
I chose the full-length Jeffery mostly b/c I didn't want a belt (STA), and I couldn't bear not using the full length of the action. The case is big enough that I don't need to worry about maxing it out, like I know would happen if I got the Norma - my problem, NOT the Norma's!

A 358 Norma will rock in a 26" bbl, like better than 225/2900 and 250/2800, and brass can be made from numerous sources when factory is unavailable. In an 8# rifle the recoil is what I'd call plenty.
358 Norma is a goodun.

That said, don't be shy about making your own. Total extra cost is about $350 for reamer and dies, and I believe John Ricks has a standing offer to split the cost of wildcat reamers and he keeps it for you. Make that $275.
Obtain a good supply of 280 Ross cases and improve the hell out of them. Give it the same shoulde/neck as the STA and at 3.5" COL you'll beat it. At 3 1/3" you're nipping on it's heels.
Of course, resale value of a wildcat is pretty low in most cases, especially if it doesn't somehow "beat" what's out there. Just depends on what you want to do.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Yes! I've designed, built and have been shooting it since "99". 35caliber on the.404 case Improved And I do use a home made compensator and recoil pad. I have safley pushed a 250 gr PSP to 3150 ft/sec.I've been experimenting with lead bullets up to 300 Grains with a small measure of gratification. It's a fun toy. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Roger, what's the latest word on those heavy cast bullets. You done much load development? My case won't be nearly as lead-friendly to the heavies as yours should be with that long neck.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
dasMafia, i have a .35 Griffin & Howe Imp.(.358STA) and a buddy of mine was impressed with my 9.3 Dakota round and made what he calls a .35 Sledgehammer. Both are 375 Dakota cases necked down. Both of these will push 250's at over 3050fps with ease. Hornady made dies for him. Very simple wildcats, no muss or fuss. Just neck down and shoot

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a 358x338 winmag is exactly a 358 norma mag. and a fine round.

Zhat made/makes a 35 RUM, which is the 404 improved.

jeffe

Posts: 38555 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles Newton did it a century ago. His rifles had steel "rifle" butt plates. That cartridge would shoot a 250 gr Hornady about the same speed as a .375 HH would push a 270 gr. I have chronograph data on that.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, I had it in my head to do a .358 on the Rigby case. Lots of room for powder and about any velocity you want there. I got distracted by some other projects in .338, so I haven't done anything more with it than creating the cartridge/chamber drawing. I don't like belted brass, so I didn't want to go with the 378 Wby case as the base for it. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The first 300 grainers hit paper at 100 yds. but I didn't have a chronagraph going and me thinks they came out a little too fast Next week I set up the new Ohler and we'll give some cast bullets of varying weights a try.
Charles Newton was just too far ahead of his time. The raw number of interested shooters was minimum, dollars were not as abundant as they are today and his ability to capture a resonable market share didn't exist ( No mass communication as you're looking at right now). Newton, no doubt, was truely a technically superior, straight forward,ORIGINAL cartridge designer. In my not too humble opinion it was a case of the "best" not being recognized and accepted by the masses. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

To answer the original question: the .338 Win Mag necked up to .35 is basically the .358 Norma Mag.

AH! thank you... didn't realize that's what the Norma was... thanks much. when I said "big" I meant "begger than a whelen and smaller than an STA!" my shoulder has enough problems just from sports injuries. The STA was just a little too much IMO.

again, thanks to all, those are some wicked rounds!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a .35 Newton in the works at present. I'm building one with a 1-in-12" twist to stabilize 250-300 grain bullets in a 26" barrel. I'm having the action modified to a switch-barrel design like the benchresters so I can try the other Newton cartridges with the same head diameter if this one lives up to expectations. I'll let you know what kind of performance I get when it's finished. I've found the .358 Norma brass the closest fit since I'm having trouble getting 8x68s brass from Germany. I'm told the case body blows out to the belt diameter, but at 2.52", is shorter than the STA. I would guess it is slightly smaller than the STA in case capacity. I hope it will be ballistically close to the .375 in energy levels.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
350 African Express -->

I built up a 35 caliber rifle using the 8x68S case. The 6.5x68 case also works. Fred at Z-Hat has the reamer, www.z-hat.com , along with a bunch of other wildcats.

I don't have any pictures handy of the case. It looks similar in profile as the 416 Rigby: no belt, short shoulder, long neck, fat case. It has more volume than 358 Norma, about 10% or so, and substantially more volume than a 35 Newton.

I am getting 3050 fps with IMR4350 powder and a 250g grain bullet. I can push a 280g bullet to 2600 fps with H4350 powder, but I think there are better powders for this bullet weight than H4350, as pressures peaked early with this powder. Basically, medium burn rate powders are best for this case and bore diameter.

I am using a 26 inch barrel length, which is about optimium for muzzle flash. I would not recommend less than 22 inches unless you are willing to trade flash for barrel length.

I haven't found recoil to be a problem. What I get is a big push rather than a hard slap as I do with my 7mm Rem Mag. I find I prefer the push and I am begining to dislike the "slap".

The rifle was built on a Mauser 98 action. I cut down the original stock and put a slip on recoil pad over the steel butt plate. Weight is ~ 7.5 lbs. I have a nice stock for it about finished, but I am sticking with the beat up cut down for now.

Email me for more info on the cartridge. Check out Z-hat for custom rifle and wildcat info. Fred also has a 35-300 Rem Ultra Mag wildcat there which he calls an UltraCat.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite 35 wildcat is the 300 Win/358, as it takes advantage of the short length of many of the 35 cal bullets. You really don't get into a deep seating issue in an '06 length action until you go over 250 grs, and some 225s will leave you with 84 grs of case capacity and 4600 FPE with over 3000 fps. Then you can even crowd 10 grs of capacity out with a Woodleigh 310 grainer and still do over 2500 fps.

All this and you can pop pistol bullets in .357 for pennies with any of at least 15 good reduced loads.

Same goes for the 358 Norma...just 100 fps slower.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

350 African Express -->

"I am getting 3050 fps with IMR4350 powder and a 250g grain bullet." Robert D, What amount of IMR 4350 do you use and what primer. How much 4350 will your case hold? Thanks roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

350 African Express -->
It has more volume than 358 Norma, about 10% or so, and substantially more volume than a 35 Newton. RobertD

I figure the 8x68 is one of the best cases for standard-length magnums. It's a little smaller at the base than the belted mag, but has more capacity.
But I have trouble believing there's any real differenc in it and a 35 Newton. .5236" nominal base dia for the 8mm S, and .5285" for the Newton, so except for the length of the case (mostly unusuable in a 3 3/8" round) there's no real differences.
Both excellent, and I bet very similar.
I always felt bad for poor Newton. He gave us what we'd be crying for a few decades too early, in a gun that no one wanted to shoot.
As for forming the Newton, Z-Hat may have a line on x68 cases....

one of us
posted Hide Post
358 ultra mag Townsley would be a nice one to try out. Its a 300 RUM necked to 35. Better energy and velocity than 375 H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 300 WSM necked to 35 would be a good project. Might start that my self some day

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone's done it.
Called the 35 Wapiti, don't remember who/where, but I think there's some info on the net to google.