New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338/.404 imp.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
who out there has heard of a .338/.404 imp.? I have one and would like to know more about it.

Thanks

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bob,
wouldn't that be a 338 RUM or very near?

jeffe

Posts: 38564 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and the cartridge was designed by Imperial Magnum Cartridge a Canadian company. They have since gone bankrupt and Canadian Magnum was selling brass for a while. The original cartridge was a full length 404 Jeffrey with blown out shoulders and necked to 338. Much like the one in the Reloading Pages of this site.

The 338 RUM was shortened by the bean counters, so I've been told, so a 300 RUM could not be chambered in the 338 RUM rifle.

I use 300 RUM brass to make my brass as it is the same length as the 338 IMC. Since I started using the Remington brass the ballistics of the cartridge has improved greatly. The original brass was too soft and could not be reloaded more than twice.

Which action does your rifle have?

Steve

[ 10-31-2003, 22:27: Message edited by: Santala ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I had a gunsmith buddy, some years before the rum's came out, show me some of those imperials. He said, later, that remington might have bought the line from them, but he doubted it.

interesting story, at least
jeffe

Posts: 38564 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a 'smith in BC that is still building these, if anyone is interested. He was mentioned on this site before, so a search will probably turn up his name (I have craft disease) - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posts, guys........i do believe my gun is not an Imperial chambering with which i am somewhat familiar but rather a .338/.404 improved.The rifle was built in 1994 by Bud Morrow,Sheridan Gun shop.Its a full lenght,blown out .404 case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the specs of that one? body length, diameter at shoulder, case length, neck length?
It may just be some guy's wildcat. I hope you got dies for it.
I'm sure it's a great round, basically the same size as the RUM. You could use RUM or Imperial Mag data for starting loads.
I'd be contacting Bud to see if he could tell anything about its origins.
What kind of rifle is it?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I know Bud Morrow, and he is a very good gunsmith. I think he closed the Sheridan Gun Shop a couple years ago, but has a shop at his home south of Sheridan. He is particularly good at chambering and barrel work. I called him a couple years ago to do a job for me and he said he was so backlogged with work that he wasn't taking any additional requests at that time.

I'm sure you can find his phone number through directory information or one of the Internet phone number search sites.

[ 11-01-2003, 05:15: Message edited by: Matt Norman ]

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bud Morrow has built several rifles for me over the years and each has been wonderful.....he is truely a craftsman who can be relied upon to perform great work.His kind are getting harder to find.
As for the .338/.404,i wish i had tecnical data for it but i dont...just some hand written loading data and no cartridge specs.I do have dies and plenty of partially formed .404 brass.
My rifle is a M70 to which Bud attached an Obermeyer 26'' barrel.
A225gr Partition will chrono 3350fps ahead of 100grs of RL22.

one of us
posted Hide Post
you have a dial caliper?
Measure the body length, neck length and case length, as well as diameter at shoulder.
I'd be interested to see what (whoever) did.
May also help track down origins.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bob,

We have developed a number fo wildcats on the 404 Improved case, including a 338.

338/404

Posts: 67281 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote