THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Schuetzen Experts - Trying to Identify Caliber (Pics)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schuetzen Experts - Trying to Identify Caliber (Pics)
 Login/Join

posted
I recently took a chamber cast of my new Schuetzen rifle! Can anyone help me identify the below caliber? It measures close to the 9.5x47mm but with a different shoulder diameter.

I would be happy to reward anyone who gets this right with a round or two for their bullet collections when i get this old rifle up and running.

Thanks for the help!

SkiBum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be a wildcat based on 348 Winchester brass.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bruce - Thank you!

Does anyone know of any wildcats based on the 348 Win which would match?

Skibum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ask on the ASSRA forum:

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
~1900, in Germany, every gun Smith made his own Schutzenrifle round. Mostly based on the old service round 11,2x60R. There´re many rounds, differ only in little part of construction. I know three different 9,5mm rounds, the 9,5x42R, 9,5x46R and a 9,5x47R. I heard about a 9,5x50R, but I never saw any rounds or have found informations in books.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were about 9 - 10 distinct 9,5 x 47 R cartridges in the past that differ for their base(shoulder diam , shoulder position or neck lenght ( often very slightly each other)

This was due to the fact that makers often used "proprietary" dimensions, so, for example, Unterdoerffer cases are not the same than the Lorenz / DWM ones and often they are not fully interchangeable.

Very accurate case dimensions/ chamber are needed to ID the correct cartridge

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote