New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 ackley mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can someone give me some info on this cartridge?

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 H&H imp 30 degree shoulder in a pre-war mod 70 if thats what your looking at. It's the same capacity as a 300 Weatherby but with sharp shoulders.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am the same to much gun is better than not enough.got this gun cheap at auction.i already got 3 300's but it was too nice to pass up. you know the feeling.anyway i got the dies with the deal now i gotta figure how to load it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2 dogs:
i am the same to much gun is better than not enough.got this gun cheap at auction.i already got 3 300's but it was too nice to pass up. you know the feeling.anyway i got the dies with the deal now i gotta figure how to load it.

I have some data from P.O. Ackley's book. pm me your email & I will scan the 2 pages & email them to you.

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Worked up a load for a friend using IMR4350 w/65 grs @2,900 fps if I remember correctly. 5 shots touching at 100 yds and was a pleasure to shoot. Brass he had was 7 mag expanded and shortened about .25 inch to headspace in the gun.

He took 2 Caribou at 400 yds with one shot a piece and was pleased.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 Dogs

Don't forget, the 300 Ackley is a wildcat and comes in many different sizes and shapes. If you do not have any fired cases it would probably be a good idea to make a chamber cast or run a Magnum cases into the FL die to see exactly what you have.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
I have a 300 H&H imp 30 degree shoulder in a pre-war mod 70 if thats what your looking at.

or 40deg ? Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
luckily my great uncle just gave me 40 years worth of data and he previously owned such a gun.i did get 80 loaded shells and tho boxes of once fired brass.testing begins this weekend thank you for all the replies.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Tsturm I sent a fired case to RCBS and thats whats on the box.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
can someone give me some info on this cartridge?

Sorry for the poor pic.
L to R:
30-06, 30 Ack Mag, 7mag, 300 Ultra

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote