Find
Notify
Tools

338 Federal or 338/284
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I'm in the process of building a light weight rifle in a Mexican Mauser. My first intentions was to go with the 338 Federal but after looking at the 338/284 I find myself drifting to that cartridge. I am a 338 fan and already own a 338/06 and wouldnt let it go.
I believe there is plenty of room in the Mex. for 185 and 210grain bullets seated to the neck. I've chambered many diffrent rounds such as Ackleys and so on but have never went to the expence to have a custom reamer made and custom dies made up for a round such as this.
I like the idea of a shorter round such as the 338/284 being close to what my 338/06 will do. So, I guess what Im asking is is it worth my time to improve on the performance with the 338/284 over the 338 Federal in this Mex. Mauser. Any pros or cons I might be over looking when going to a wildcat...planning on necking up 6.5/284 lupa brass.
Thanks...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
This may not be the right place for this question, but the 338/284 is a wildcat so let me ask it this way.
What experence do you have with this round? Was it worth the time and money,and do you still shoot this round? Would you do it over again or do something diffrent?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
284 case capacity = 30-06 +/-.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A 338-284 is basically a 338-06 +/- depending on how deep you need to seat the bullet. So it depends on what you want your new rifle to do replace your 338-06 or be a lighter closer in partner.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Redundent since you already have ( my go to cal Wink ) the 338/06.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Redundent since you already have ( my go to cal ) the 338/06.

Your right about it being REDUNDENT, and I like my 338/06 so well it might not matter. The reason I'm looking at the 338/284 for this rifle is because I believe it would be a much better rifle than the 338 Federal. I'm building a Mex with a 338 octogon intergral barrel I made up for myself. I'm makeing a lighter weight somewhat, stalking rifle out of it. Trust me , I have more money in this one then I do the 338/06 and more time in it. Lots of more work to be done yet! I think I would like it better in the 338/284 then my orignal thought of 338 Federal! Here it is so far!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking start to a really nice rifle!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a very sick man! Smiler

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are a very sick man!

Your right, as SICK as they come! diggin

One of Us
Picture of oscar
posted Hide Post
That barreled action is a beauty.I would love to see the finished product.Please post pic's when its completed.

For the cartridge,whatever you want...that's what its all about! Smiler Oscar

Posts: 79 | Location: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the cartridge,whatever you want...that's what its all about! Oscar

When I started this little Mex the 338 Federal at the time was the cats a$$, but then I found out I could make a 338/06 wantabe...well Big Grin