New
Find
Notify
Tools

300wsm necked up to 9,3 or .375?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I remember a thread where one of these wildcats was mentioned. Has anybody got one and if so what actual velocities are you getting with 286grn or 300grn solids? Seems like a nice option on rifles with interchangeable barrels, with 300wsm as the plains game round.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375-348 imp. The case dimensions are very close to the 300WSM except it is a rimmed case and the neck is a little longer. This rifle is built on a Siamese Mauser action with a 24 in barrel. I have only shot 270 gr bullets in this rifle and have just started developing loads. However with the 270 gr bullets it is only 50 to 75 fps slower than a 24 in barreled 375 H&H I have. With 300 gr bullets I suspect case capacity I would lose would increase the difference to 100 fps in the 375. In 9.3 calibre you would likely have a calibre very close ballistically to the 9.3x64 only your 9.3-300 WSM would hold one less cartridge in the magazine. Hope that helps

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
there´s a gunsmith in Germany going to finish that Wildcat and get it to the CIP-Standarts.
It´s a 9,3x300WSM and the Pictures on his web-side are looking good.
See "roedale precision"

Best
2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Those two were done not long after the WSM case came out. The dies and reamers are available at CH4D and PT&G. Very simple to do. The good ones use the 300 WSM case necked up with minor changes at the neck/shoulder junction.

The WSM case has been necked up and necked down from 6mm to 458 as far as I know. The case capacity is about 78 gr H2O and does a credible job...but there are already many standard calibers and sizes that cover that capacity range.

I think any conversion of the WSM case is a practical thing to do...but usually you want more hitting power in the larger calibers, so everyone goes to the largest cases they can find. Who wants a popgun when a cannon is required...so to speak...although, within reason any thing from 30 cal up will do the job on most game in the world.

Basically...your choice...wildcat and all the attendent problems or standard calibers. Personally I can't see the BS behind the 1/2" - 3/4" difference in receiver lengths...short action or long...I see way to many good reasons to have a LA in in the larger calibers.

'Njoy

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi I was the first customer of Peter for this 9.3 RSM so far shooting 286 grain solids I am getting consitent 2780 ish 2850 without any problems. It is now CIP registered. It is not about getting an extra round in the mag or saving 0.5 inch int he action. It is pure cyrodynamic efficient powder burn and accuracy. This rifle basically is shooting one hole all day and night getting same muzzle energy or slightly more on paper than the 9.3 x 66 adn 9.3 x 64. My design brief is to match 375 H & H for DG.

My next gun to be delivered in 06 weeks is a 9.3 - 338 lapua magnum. We hope to shoot 250 grain high BC bullet i.e. near 1.0 with single capacity due to long COL length over 1200 yards in Bisley. Again my design brief is to have 2000 foot pounds energy at 600 yards and Lapua case availability hence 338 Lapua.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the typo errors but it is very late in London

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would like to know what type of powder you are loading.
I´m interested using 286grs.Nosler Partition´s

Best
2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by londonhunter:
Hi I was the first customer of Peter for this 9.3 RSM so far shooting 286 grain solids I am getting consitent 2780 ish 2850 without any problems. It is now CIP registered. It is not about getting an extra round in the mag or saving 0.5 inch int he action. It is pure cyrodynamic efficient powder burn and accuracy. This rifle basically is shooting one hole all day and night getting same muzzle energy or slightly more on paper than the 9.3 x 66 adn 9.3 x 64. My design brief is to match 375 H & H for DG.

How long is your barrel ...?????????????????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think maybe the Ruger .375, 338 and 300 just about voids your newbie wildcat..and now the .416 Ruger is in the drawing room..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote