Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 dasher
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all! I am looking at the possibility of rechambering my 223 to a 22 dasher. I've read that one can expect 22-250ai velocity with br accuracy? What could be some of the problems associated with going this route? One of the most important questions is who makes reloading dies for this caliber, as well as a reamer and headspace gages? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Cdog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
let's see...a much smaller case, with the same velocities as the big one...?
Do you see pressure rearing its ugly head here? Harvey Donaldson used to push his 219 Donaldson Wasp in the old days as the perfect 22 benchrest and live varmint cartridge...until someone asked him how he got 220 Swift velocities with a case about 5/8" shorter and smaller in diameter. Harvey had bruises all over his body from ammo companies touching him with 20 foot poles!!!
There is no "magic" to a cartridge case...just balancing pressure against velocity and bullet weight.

JMHO

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 22 Dasher is a fine cartridge capable of equaling or besting the 22-250 velocities. There is a wealth of info on 6br.com about this and the 6mm version. As for dies, your gunsmith should be able to provide you with a seater and neck sizer. Reamers and guages are available from most reamer makers. Your 223 would require extensive boltface work to accomodate the BR head size. You may want to consider a replacement bolt from PTG.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 22 Dasher reamer will not clean up a .223 Remington chamber.The dasher is reputed to not feed well from a magazine due to it's relatively straight case body.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eddie,

describe the case, and give us the case capacity.

If they ain't sprinking pixie dust in that case and it's smaller capacity and faster than a 22-250 the answer man says higher pressure. Take the 6mm PPC for example...around 65+K PSI last I heard.

Rich
DRSS
NRA Life Member

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
From an article that was posted to me by a friend, capacity in water:
22Dasher = 40.5gr H2O
22/250Rem = 45gr H2O.
I think some of the 22/250 velocities reached by the Dasher have been achieved using light projectiles and moly coatings.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay...12% smaller case capacity. If you get lucky and match a powder perfectly to the case capacity and bullet weight used in both cartridges, then at the same velocity the Dasher has to be operating at at least 12% higher pressure. My 22-250 loads ran about 55K PSI. That would put the Dasher over 60K.
Thanks, I'll just break out the 22-284.
Efficiency in smaller cartridges translates to high pressure, there is just no way around that fact.

regards,

Rich
DRSS
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies all. I'm not sure I understand how 12% case capacity translates exactly into 12% higher pressure for sure, but then I dont have a clue either. I do know however according to my sierra loadbook that a 22br will come very close to matching 22-250 velocity with less powder. I was led to understand that the short squat powder column burrned more efficiently than a longer more slender one. To me more effeciently means more miles per gallon? I'm certainly not arguing with you, it just seems the words "efficiency" and "inherrent accuracy" are common words I hear on these sites and there seems to be no iron clad explanation for them? I am fairly certain that as far as accuracy goes the short squat case like the br and ppc cannot be argued?
I was simply hoping to get velocity and accuracy in one neat little package. Thank you all for your time,

Cdog.