Find
Notify
Tools

.35 Newton vs .358 Norma Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Questions for you guys:

I saw some original 7mm Norma bullets on eBay the other day, and the box showed .283". I know that 7mm is .284", just like the rest of you do. Here is the question, and it basically has several parts.
Is a 358 Norma really a .358" round? And does Norma's .358" factory projectile measure something smaller than American projectiles for the .35 calibers?
It appears to me that if the Norma bullets are .001" smaller, that could be the reason for what I always felt were extremely high velocities for Norma factory ammo. It wouldn't be enough to affect accuracy, but it sure would cut down on friction, and that would raise velocities, wouldn't it?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question. The 358 Norma was made for an American market, and uses .358" bullets, though some shoot little .357" pistol bullets for plinking.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonland:
Disagree with the statement that you can't get 3,000 fps with the .35 Newton & 250 gr. bullets...
I get that with my .358 Norma Magnum over the chrony...so the .35 Newton can do the same.
Writers, gun guys...have always disputed Newton's
claimed velocities...yet every cartridge of his I've tried has exceeded Newton's factory claims...
so those of you who wish to dipute without ever trying so, go right ahead. I & Newton users know better. Tom

Yes, but with the caveat that you get to use propellants far better than any available to Newton.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen I believe the spark to the arguement was the misunderstandment of "reasonable pressure". I read an article on pressure with Barsness ans Sisk, they were using a 308 Win. They had a round come close to 300 mag. velocities, but damn near wrecked the rifle and themselves. Can factory ammunition in a factory chambered rifle cause pressure increases? Yep! I seen it with PMC 300 mag. Barnes X ammo. in a Ruger no.1. Splitting hairs over 150 or so fps with obviuos pressure gains is ego talking.
Enjoy shooting and please if you are going to hunt with high pressure loads give warning on this site when & where you are going to hunt or shoot. I think it's fare to the rest of us to know when to clear out.

quote:
by jim johnson: Also the 9.3x64 Brenneke will beat the 375H&H at 300 yards in ME with the same weight bullet.

Welcome to the forum! There's no doubt the two are hard hitting. My 9.3x64 should be finished in May or June, then the fun for myself will commence. However the 358 Norma, 9.3x64 and the 375 H&H with the right bullets will kill what you need when you need.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

I'm going with Paul on this one. My 35 cal '06 wildcat was pushing 225 gr bullets at 2900 over the Chronograph with no signs of problems. My gunsmith put the pressure gauge on it and the fun was over.

On a cool day, I was just over 70K. I tossed out that brass and started over looking for groups with less powder.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Short answer to my .358 Norma Magnum in the original Husqvarna Rifle...my velocity obtained was with the Norma Factory Cartridges & 250 gr. bullets. So...can't blame hot reloads. Maybe a
'fast' chronograph or high altitudes? The box says I should expect 2800...which is still nice for the 250 gr. bullet of .358". What I'm going to test next...is the bullet drop at long ranges & compare the trajectory with what velocity it should be. Weather too cold lately. I like the .358 Norma better than my .375 H&H.
Best Regards All, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its been a while since when a buddy aquired an orginal Newton rifle in 35 Newton and we went head to head for velocity over the chrono. It turned out that the Newton would do about the same velocity with a 250 that the 375 H&H would do with a 270.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonland:
my velocity obtained was with the Norma Factory Cartridges & 250 gr. bullets. So...can't blame hot reloads. Tom

But that doesn't mean they aren't high-pressure loads. Make sure you aren't into the lands when you chamber, or some other similar phenomenon. If those are originals, and originals were loaded with freebore in mind, you may well be jamming those suckers into a stop before igniting.
-Oh, wait. Can't be that, 'cause then you'd see a 200 fps increase in MV!

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
Well I do not have either the 35 Newton or 358 Norma Mag,but I have a 358 STA and 2 358 Ultra Mags.I will say that the 35 is very over looked and a great power house of a round. I get with my STA over a crony 3004 FPS with 225 gr. and 2875 FPS with 250 gr. in a 24 in. barrel. My 358 Ultra mag will push a 250 gr. at 3010 FPS and a 225 gr. at 3206 FPS across a crony in a 27 in. barrel and these loads are safe in my rifles with no signs of pressure. I have a soft spot for the 35 cal. and will add 1 more to the collection in the future that being the 35 remington in a marlin 336.

Hoeram Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoeram,
Tell me more about your 35 RUM!Big Grin I've committed to building a 358Norma on a Ruger S/S, but once that's done there's a $100 Eddystone range-rifle in the safe that is screaming for a fun .35cal bull-barrelled single-shot. Is your 35RUM based on the 375RUM or the 338RUM? Who supplied the reamer and your reloading dies? Any information greatly appreciated!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoeram:
Well I do not have either the 35 Newton or 358 Norma Mag,but I have a 358 STA and 2 358 Ultra Mags.I will say that the 35 is very over looked and a great power house of a round. I get with my STA over a crony 3004 FPS with 225 gr. and 2875 FPS with 250 gr. in a 24 in. barrel. My 358 Ultra mag will push a 250 gr. at 3010 FPS and a 225 gr. at 3206 FPS across a crony in a 27 in. barrel and these loads are safe in my rifles with no signs of pressure. I have a soft spot for the 35 cal. and will add 1 more to the collection in the future that being the 35 remington in a marlin 336.

Hoeram Big Grin

Did you guys see the posting in medium bores, for the 358 Wells Express? A claimed 3500 FPS, with a 250 grain bullet!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Hoeram,
Tell me more about your 35 RUM!Big Grin I've committed to building a 358Norma on a Ruger S/S, but once that's done there's a $100 Eddystone range-rifle in the safe that is screaming for a fun .35cal bull-barrelled single-shot. Is your 35RUM based on the 375RUM or the 338RUM? Who supplied the reamer and your reloading dies? Any information greatly appreciated!
Cheers...
Con

My 358 Ultra Mag is based on the 300 Ultra case necked up in 4 steps with .010 steps in neck sizer buttons you could use 375 Ultra Mag and step down same case. 40 Degree shoulder then fire formed.The reamer was made by JGS Tools there web is WWW.JGSTOOLS.COM. the reloading dies are made by RCBS from reamer print.I have 2 of these rifles both made on 700 remington actions. 1 was a 300 ultra mag remington LSS in S/S that I had the barrel yarded off and replaced with a 28" custom moly barrel thats .750 at the muzzel.This was made as a long range elk rifle not much fun to pack but great for plains and canyon shooting.The other is built on a older 700 action with a 26 in. sporter weight barrel on a HS stock. the 28 in. S/S action rifle shoots 250's at 3100 and 225's at 3200 and some change. I'm just now working up loads for the sporter barrel rifle. They seem to favor RL 22 for powder I tried IMR 7828,H1000,RL 25 and had my best vel. and acc. with RL 22. Hope this helps you out.

Hoeram Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nastiest kicking rifle I have ever fired (and I have shot 8 bore and .600 double rifles) was a Sedgely Springfield .35 Newton lightweight, about 7lbs., lots of drop in the stock and a steel buttplate.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
the one stuoid thing was that norma had a director that didn`t want to market the 358 norma magnum and its sibling the 308 nm. that guy became later the president of the norma department in the usa...

if winchester and reminton had bougt licenses,that would have been a another story. hopefulle that is about to change, i have a friend who is very high up in the marketing deapartment of norma in Ã…motfors. they are seeking out the markets in usa and russiana even more than before. as we say here in norway . skitt jakt. good hunting

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For you goof balls that want a 358 STA, there is a dandy with Krieger barrel, Mc stock and Mod 700 action at Green Mountain Guns, Lakewood Co. I don't even work there, but they have most of my money! This is a dandy rifle, I think the guy (consigned) wants about 750 for it. Much cheaper than you can build one!!! Hope I have the Specs right. But it is a nice long range elk rifle. I think it has bases, but no rings.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
my vote is the 358nm, its a good cartridge, and i are waiting on a just such a rifle and cartidge combo, a shultz and larsen 65dl in 358nm. i have few bullets from 200 grs corelokt up to 310 grs woodleigh, and i is looking forward to its arrival. how is the 225 grs sierra for a longer range bullet and 250 grs nosler are also going to be used.but scope havent i deceided about yet, i was thinking about a 3-12z for allround use and an 1,5-5x for the heavy bullets.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think the 225 sierras are just a wee bit to lightly constructed for the Norma, and would be hesitant to use them on larger game when launched 2900-3000 fps. I think the barnes TSX or partition at that velocity would be outstanding.

I've found 2.5X plenty on my 350 Rigby, and can't see any more than 6X on the high end.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr rigby:
i are waiting on a just such a rifle and cartidge combo, a shultz and larsen 65dl in 358nm.

The Shultz & Larsen is a rear locker, no?

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
yes it is, but there hasn t been many problems with the. rudolf sand had a rifle in 7x61 and took 281 species with it. many hundred, if not thousands of throphys .