Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-08
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
I see the 338 federal as a good possibility in a limited use platform like the AR-10. What do you think about the 8mm-08. Don't get me wrong here. I am not a fan of either the .308 case and its offspring or the AR platform. However I can see how the 338 federal could make the AR-10 a usefull firearm. So just wondering if the 8mm-08 might also be usefull.

Strange how I dislike the AR platform and the .308 case. Mix them together and somehow they seem almost appealing.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45otto:
Strange how I dislike the AR platform and the .308 case. Mix them together and somehow they seem almost appealing.

- Confusedroger bewildered

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What does the 8mm add that the 338 doesn't?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, what's the point of an 8mm-08? the 8x57 does everything it would do and more, the 338 federal does everything it would do and more, and for that matter, the good old 308 will do everything it will do on game and only slightly trail it on paper... bewildered
If you just want to do it, I'd say go for it, it's certainly your money...but if you're asking for opinions... Mine would be just get the AR-10 in a 308 and never look back...or get a good bolt gun in 8x57 and be happy forever... Big Grin
Anyway, certainly not trying to flame you, just not sure I get the appeal...but hey, it's a free country, so I'll sure support your right to build and bear whatever caliber / firearm combination you want!! patriot

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
All those things are true. Just a passing thought.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're talking AR, I hear the 308 is a handful already. The best part about going bigger is going longer and you can't really do that in an AR. I'm not a fan of the platform either, but it does seem that it should be shot in the chambering it was designed for. Build a 223 from the ground up if you must. (Better yet, 222 Rem Mag necked to 6.5, loaded to 2.8"!)
But yeah, once you have an AR-10, I can't see mucking around with it doing much good.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote