New
Find
Notify
Tools

.20 cal. on the 30 carbine case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone made a 20 cal. wilcat on the M1 carbine case? I know that there is a 19 cal. version done by Calhoun, (spelling), but I have not heard of a 20. Calhoun's site says 3500-3700 fps with one of his bullets but he is the only one to make a .19. Just curious? DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This must be to small to be of any interest. I thought it would be a perfect ground squirrel gun. We call em pot guts in Ut. I have seen one necked down to .22 and read about one in .19 but the availability of .20 bullets is better. It would be efficient, fast enough, and economical to shoot. A 17 would be another thought. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try your question at saubier.com.

Many .17 and .20 wildcats have been done by members; not sure on the 30 Carbine case, but likely!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Check these guys out. They may be able to asnswer your question..

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley/twentycaliber.html

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a few in both the 22 MMJ, 17 PeeWee and one in 14. All work ok in the carbines but caution is needed to make sure the rifle is COMPLETELY in battery as the pressures are high and you run the risk of a blow-up. Hard on the eyes too! If a suitable bolt action could be had at a decent price??
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark, and thanks everyone for your replies. I was thinking about a Contender barrel. At least to start. I think the velocities would be about where Calhoon's 19 cal is depending on bullet weight used. Somewhere around 3600fps. I don't think it would be worth a bolt action with all the alternatives out there. DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DW if you're going to do a 20 on a 30 carbine case get some 19 cases from calhoon and run the 20 caliber expander ball thru them and you are good to go.
you can form your own but may have to anneal the neck and shoulder before firing. the 30 carbine case mouth is so hard it may not expand and seal against the chamber walls. you will get a face full of hot gases.
calhoon uses a 4 step forming process so annealing is not necesary.
comparing a .19 caliber to a 20 caliber is like comparing a .223 to a .224, no real world difference.
make sure you weigh your cases, they vari quite a bit.

Posts: 932 | Location: new mexico plains | Registered: 26 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda like reinventing the 5.77 Johnson...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote