Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help me with a name?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted
You need a name that sounds good, rolls off the tongue well, and is catchy. No mamby-pamby stuff.

For the 366:

365 Long Tom
367 Rocket
367 Gonzo

For 9.3, stick with the metrics, if you start that way.

9.3mm x 64mm Gonzo Power

Or a retro name:

368-100-286

or perhaps add a name that rolls off the tongue well with that last one.

When I did mine, I called it a 350 African Express, which is a 358 on a 8x68mm case blown out and stretched.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Given the parent cartridge is named after its bore size, I believe your 9.3 should be as well.

I, then, propose the "358/300 Mag."

Or perhaps the old Britsh naming convention could be used instead: "458/358 Mag;" that has a nice ring to it.

Either ought to confuse the next owner of your gun.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

What about the 9,3x66 Sako. It's a factory cartridge

Posts: 11 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3X66 is what it IS, but call it what you want

IMHO, a .358X2.62 deserves a look too, as the 35 cal bullets out there are rather short for their weight and are well suited to the long case/short chamber you are dealing with.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
366 WinMag or 9.3mm WinMag-- gives us both the diameter and the parent case.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might not be appropriate, but I like the way the 375-06 cases got named "Whelen," even I believe he had nothing to do with it. And the 375-338, did Chatfiled-Taylor actually make that, or was it just a neckd down 416 T?
I'd call it the 366 Taylor I think. (Has nothing to do with the facthat that's my name!)
In fact, when will we get a 458 Taylor? Seems that case could do with a little blowing out.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3 Freakin' Gonzo

Not much to work with buddy, best I could do on short notice.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
How about the 9.3mm Gonzo Freak-Streak?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 366/338 is the best case design, mostly because it has more neck for the heavy bullets like a 300 gr. Woodleigh...I have thought about that wildcat quite a bit, but then the 9.3x64 is about the most ideal round I can think off on this planet, it just does it all in a neat package that will work through any standard action...and now brass is available from Huntingtons, that was its only drawback....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just dig out the old 9.3x70 mag and chamber that
i think ?? someone did up a few some years back's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Or the 9.3mm Gonzo Gorilla Grinder?