New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Carbon barrels ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think it wise to pass on the carbon barrel. Why all the extra expense? A 30/338 will go thru a barrel quick if you shoot it hot. I would have the smith leave some of the breach end long so it can be set back later if needed. Also, if you're gonna do a fluted barrel, have the barrel maker flute it, before it is lapped!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any experience or comments on using the carbon barrels when building a wildcat or just when doing a re-barrell of a rifle? I'm about to launch on a .30-.338 and a carbon barrel for it came into my consideration. This rifle will be in a ultra-lightweight configuration. Any info or guidance on this would be much appreciated especially as it regards light weight, durability, accuracy, etc.

Many thanks.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Carbon barrels are great to save weight, but if you get a scratch through the finish into to the carbon fiber ya best toss it into the garbage. A scratch or gouge into the carbon fiber can start a crack under pressure, and continue until the barrel blows in two.

If anyone is planning a carbon fiber wrapped barrel ask the manufacture how deep a scratch you can go before the barrel is unsafe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've no experience with them but wonder about the reports from the scribes about how they don't get hot after repeated firing. Composites don't conduct heat very well at all so I'd expect that. Next question is, are you smiling because you THINK your barrel isn't getting hot, or because it really isn't? At what temperature do composites soften, and what happens when they delaminate from the liner?

At least one curious mind would like to know.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote