New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have experience in that caliber . I have 3 6,5 calibers ( 6.5x55 : 6,5 gibbs : and 6,5 -284 ) and i´m planning in maka a rifle in 6,5 WSM.
I will use a Mauser 98 custom action .

I´ll appreciate some info about it , reloads, twist , etc

thank you all

raul

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can, try to get a hold of a Winchester M70 WSM, they have longer magazine boxes then standard short actions, plus the action is already modified to feed the fat cartridges.

Twist would depend on what bullet weight you wanted to primarily shoot

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank for your reply MileHigh

But Mauser actions are long enough to hold this ctg.
I´m plannig to shoot bullets between 120 to 140 gs . Mainly Barnes TSX 130 grs.

Do you have some experiece in this caliber _?

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Urrestarazu

I have two of these rifles, both Winchester M70s in 6.5 WSM

What would you like to know?

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Michael fot you reply
I would like too know some reloads that you had proved .
I ´ll use 120 -130 bullets and IMR powders the only that I can purchased here in my country
I´ll hunt deers and boars with it

raul

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Raul

I have found several powders that work well with the cartridge in my rifles. All Winchester, 24 inch barrels. IMR 7828 at the top of the list with IMR powders, IMR 4350 good, RL 19 and 22 doing well with all the bullets available.

However at the top of the list is V-N560. In one rifle I push the 120 Barnes X at 3259 and the other rifle touching 3300 fps with 62 grs. With the 130 Barnes x and 61 grs of V-N560 gives 3215 fps. Either is great and my boys shot a lot of animals in SA in 2008 with this. Even up to Wildebeast with incredible results. I have to admit, I am a big bore sort of chap, but the 6.5 WSM was very very impressive on warthogs, impala, hartebeast and wildebeast! Basics are 120s at 3250---130s at 3200--140s at 3100. It's a hammer when used proper.

My 16 yr old with some of his animals and the 6.5 WSM

My 19 yr old with the 6.5 WSM

Some 6.5 Bullet tests

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Raul

120 Barnes X 62/V-N560 3308 fps
120 Barnes X 62/IMR 7828 3282 fps

120 Nosler BT 58/IMR 4350 3241 fps

130 Barnes X 62/V-N560 3207 fps
130 Barnes X 59/IMR 7828 3081 fps (testing in rifle number two still)

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael thank you for your info .
I will try it in Axis deer and wild boars here in Uruguay ..

will start with your reloads and let you know my performance .

will in contact
raul

one of us
posted Hide Post
Raul-

My load for 6.5 WSM is 61 grains of Reloader 22 behind a Hornady 129 grain spire point.

This load is deadly and extremely accurate.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 cal fan , I ´ll try also Re 22 with Hornady bullets , that in my experience also perform excellent.

when I learn to post some pictures will send you some big game trophies

raul

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 WSM would have outstripped the sales of the 270WSM and 7mmWSM had it have been offered in a factory chambering! Maybe not the 300 WSM but the other two would have been DOA. If Remington had unleashed their SAUM's, instead of waiting an unleashing the RUM's, especially with a 25 or a 6.5 version, the WSM's would have been DOA instead of the superior case design of the SAUM's being DOA or obsolete now! Just my thoughts and 2 cents worth. And the other question is, "What could they all do that we didn't have the ability to do with what we had already?" Answer is, "Sell more rifles to us that are truly gun nuts and need another fix!" GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner and I have both 6.5 WSMs and .338 WSMs. I can't believe Winchester came out without these. As to the 6.5, it is my standard hunting rifle for all but the largest game. Hits hard, accurate, lower recoil than some, and sufficient bullet weights (now) to cover a bunch of stuff. By the way, a 100gr 6.5 bullet makes an outstanding long-range antelope getter.
Sorry I can't give you any load data. I'm currently in Iraq as a contractor and won't be back for another month or so.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck in Irak !!!!Certenly there you can´t prove any of yours reloads !!

I think that 6,5 bullets are excelents balanced for hunting , excelent SD excelent BC so excelent penetration and flight.
I have 3 6,5 rifles and think that the WSM will outperform all .
In another forum a guy tell me that he begun loading with 264 winch. table because both have same capacity .
I ´ll try that and let you know

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 in 6.5wsm.It has a Smith gain twist barrel 28 inches long and finish twist at 7.5.I shoot 68gr Retumbo behind 120 Barnes TTSX or 120 Berger both at 3300fps Accuracy is excellent.H1000 is also an excellent choice.I get approx 10 reloads per case with Retumbo and only 2 or 3 with H4831 or IMR7828.I shoot long range targets with 140 grain match bullets Sierra or Wildcat Rebated Boat Tails loaded to 2900fps 63gr Retumbo.Good Luck

Posts: 68 | Location: Camrose Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack
Is really that a difference in usin IMR 7828 and Retumbo in case life ?
Velocity is similar in both ?

thank you for your reply

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both 7828 and 4831 ruptured once fired cased about 1/2 in.from the rim on the second or third firing so I stopped doing it very quickly.The round count is starting to get up there so I mainly hunt with it now.I have put about 7 lbs. of powder down the barrel.We don't get them as cheap as you all get them in the US ,this one was $800 installed.I get better velocity with Retumbo.My friend who built one on a Browning 78 uses H1000 and gets excellent accuracy....ajck

Posts: 68 | Location: Camrose Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you prove with Reloder 25 ?
I think that it would work fine in this caliber .
Here in my country I can´t get Retumbo .
Only 7828 and Re 25.
Do you or someone have some experience with that powder?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of only two other 6.5WSM's in Canada and they belong to friends of mine in Ft Mcmurray.They mainly shoot H 1000 with excellant results.I didn't do any extensive testing with 7828 as I only had enough powder for 5 or 10 shells.I think I was at about 66 gr when the cases failed.I never tried any reloader powders. jack