Find
Notify
Tools

30PPC
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Is there a wildcat cartridge that uses PPC cases expanded to 30 cal.
I have a Ruger 77 in 7.62x39 that slugs .308 bore and it is used for cast silhouette with 180gn bullet. I want to rebarrel to a heavier profile and feel that the PPC case may just be a better and more accurate round for this purpose.
Alternatively has the PPC case been used as a base for a 7mm cast bullet rifle.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

B.A. Wallace.

There is a 30 PPC. The 100 yd benchrest crew have tried it. General thinking is that the 30BR based on the 6 or 7 BR has the right case capacity. They are using bullets in the 110-125 gr range. If anyone gets into this round use Lapua brass, not Remington. Alberta Canuck, who posts on this forum, is the guy for more info.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
B.A.,

I have a wildcat that I call the .30 HLS Cheapskate which is cut with the .30-06 reamer.It has a water capacity of 34.1 grs.which is about .1 gr.larger than the 7.62x39.

It can be built on the .303 Br. case,.445 Super Mag or the .35 Rem. depending on whether you desire a rimmed or rimless case.It does have to be neck reamed.

Since it uses a .30-06 reamer,the throat will accept heavy bullets without intruding into the powder space.It has the 30-06 length neck which works well with cast bullets.

When I designed this cartridge there were several criteria to be met and I believe I met most of them.

1-I wanted a case capacity close to the .30 Herret or 7.62x39,the capacity of my cartridge is between those 2.

2-I wanted a cartridge that could be used in different rifle actions without making alterations to the bolt face.

3-The chamber must be throated to handle the heaviest bullets for caliber.

3-It must have the capacity to be loaded hot enough to be effective on more than small game or paper.In a good action it can out perform the .30-30 WCF.

4- It must be cheap to build and shoot. It loves small charges of Green Dot powder.

I started the project by shortening a RCBS 30-06 Fl.die to
to produce a case 1.620 long.The cost was $15.

My brother donated a Remington take off barrel in 30-06.
The cost $0.

I shortened the chamber end of the barrel to fit my case
and fitted it to my action. The cost action-$70,fitting - 4 hours of my time.

Since the project cost such small amount,I named it the .30 Cheapskate.

The .22-06,6mm-06,25-06,6.5-06,.270 Win.,.280 Rem.,8mm-06,.338-06 and the .35 Whelen can all be done this way.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle and a similar idea. I got some info on my post 7.62x39 Improved? This would permit using brass original cartridges and fireforming to the improved chamber. I have been advised that the use of steel cased surplus ammo in the improved chamber is a poor idea. Hope this helps. I am waiting for info on the improved rifle reamer.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote