New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Case question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Tooley cartridges are based on the 8x68 or the 6.5x68 RWS. And performance wise...they flat out scream. My goal was a high torque 7mm. And I do believe I have found it. I may even be inclined to bypass the 7mm and do a 300 Tooley. That one reaches 300wtby velocities with ease. But the Tooley name will be at the end of the caliber. That I do know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats why i wanted to mirror the 300WM less the belt. Want to headspace off the shoulder rather than that darn belt. As many encores as there are out there with 300WM barrels on em...surely a wildcat based on that should be no problem. As for Mike...I talked to him in great length before settlin on him to do my barrel. Just that I couldnt pass up that Borden. But he is about to get his chance. He is a real nice guy thats not too busy to answer questions. That means a lot to me when dealing with a smith.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
After the first firing I headspace every one of my belted cases off the shoulder. Just set the die up to bump the shoulder.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Tooley but I have been messing with wildcats on the Encore platform for a couple of years now. I would suggest that you not exceed a base diameter of ~.520" if you intend to shoot 60KPSI loads. Mike @ OTT is an outstanding barrelsmith that is not limited by existing reamer designs. If you can discribe/spec a chamber he can cut it with his equipment. I own several of his barrels and have a couple more on the way. Every barrel he has sent me has done moa or better. We are currently working on a few wildcats based on "improved" versions of the 375 Steyr case for use on the TC Encore action. Shoot me an email if you wish to discuss any of the above or your project further.
Good Luck.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote