New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 x 57?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please bear with me. I am thinking out loud. Please post opinions or information.

I have a yugo 48 that I would like to make into a nice sporterized rifle.

If the original barrel doesn't shoot. I am contemplating a 6.8 x 57 based on the 7x57 case. Has this ever been done?

I found a cartridge called a 6.8mm x57 chinese but I could not find any detailed info.

Some of my reasoning is that I have well over 2000 277 caliber bullets in my reloading room.

Obviously the other options are a 7x57 Mauser and 6.5x55 Swede. But that would be too easy.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
SDHunter,

I thought you were a San Diego Hunter until I looked at the address!

Ackley lists the .277 ICL Flying Saucer in his Handbook, and says it is identical to the Ackley .270/.257, and is an efficient and flexible cartridge (note the .257 is the X57 brass necked down).

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, After some more research, I have found a 270 x 57, a 270-257 Roberts AI on some reamer lists from different places.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have read somewhere that China initially bought mauser's in 6,8X57 (based on the 7X57/8X57 case) These rifles were later altered to 8X57I.

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Ackley books over the weekend and found the information related to what I was looking for.
Thanks for the replies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And now Barnes have a 110gr 277cal TSX designed for the 6.8spc it would make a smoking deer/antelope bullet.

If you're going to the trouble of having a reamer made why not consider having it improved - the RCBS improved version of the roberts (also a x57 case) allways impressed me with it's more sensible 28degree shoulder angle. You can see the 257RCBS in the Hornady load book.