Find
Notify
Tools

338WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
This never saw commercial production to the best of my knowledge ... so why is their a CIP spec sheet on it with case and chamber dimensions???

Was browsing the CIP specs (linked from here awhile back) and was amazed to see a 338 Short Magnum which is a 338WSM.

Happy to email the .pdf to someone that can work out how to capture the image and then post it. I cant get it to work.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Winchester initially was going to produce the round. However, they pushed the shoulder back from the .300WSM (for whatever reason we'll never know). The drawings went out and RCBS produced the dies (I have a set). After deciding not to produce the caliber, RCBS recalled all their dies...except for those of us who decided to keep them.
My hunting partner and I have true .338WSMs, with the case necks expanded from .300 and .325 WSMs, as the only change from the original drawings. The dies have to be set short so no full length resizing can be done, but that's OK. We've had no problems so far.

Oh, and if you'd email me the drawings, I'd greatly appreciate it.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
prof242,
Sounds right as a quick check showed the shoulder/neck junction has indeed been pushed back compared to the 270WSM.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote