Find
Notify
Tools

6mm-222R S.Fadala wildcat
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted
I remember an old article on a Guns&Ammo, maybe an annual catalog an article maybe by S.Fadala about the 222Remington necked up to 6mm and used to build a deer rifle. Does someone heard something about? Can someone give me some info?
Thank in advance

I'll put it also on reload forum

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 222 Magnum is called a 6x47

The 223 is called a 6x45

The 222 I dont know..

You have more brass with the 6x45, and its a great caliber. Do a search..

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 222 necked up is the 6 x 43. The fadala cartridge may have been the rimmed version of the 222. I'm not sure if brass is still available for it. It came from the Land of OZ and was headstamped SUPER 222.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Steve
Why not 6X50R based on the 5,6X50R case?

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a few of his books and articles I remember him commenting that his wife (I believe Nancy) hunted extensively with a Frank Wells built 6mm/222. I will check my Fadala books at home for more info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
spudstor:
"The 6mm-222: A Wildcat That Works," by Sam Fadala, pp. 130-135, HANDLOADER'S DIGEST, Tenth Edition, Copyright 1984.
Read the entire book and contrast its meaty editorial content with the watery gruel of 90% or more "advertorial" offered in Handloader's Digest, Eighteenth Edition. Butthat's material for another thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the 222R (rimmed) brass that I have encountered was from Elwood Epps. I believe he was from Canada.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
Most of the 222R (rimmed) brass that I have encountered was from Elwood Epps. I believe he was from Canada.

Eddie

You're right. The brass that I bought back in the 1970s or 1980s came from Elwood. I was told that the "Super" was the name of the manufacturer who was in Australia.

It just dawned on me. Those were the days when you could buy brass from a Canadian and have it sent to you via US Mail. How times have changed.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You can still buy Super manufactured 222Rimmed brass in Australia - couple of years back I got 100 npe cases in original factory packets. Also Bertram Brass make appropriately headstamped 222R brass new today .

The 222-6mm has been around for a while - Myras Sports Store in Broken Hill , South Australia , made a series of calibres based on the 222 case , including the 243 Myra , back in the '60's .

Coincidently - the gee-whiz 17 cal rimfires of today were predated by Myras proprietory loadings of the 17 rimfire back in the 1960's as well . Aint nothing new in the ammo business.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4461 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be possible to form out of 5.6x50R brass but as there is a CIP supported cartridge - the 6x50R Scheiring that is simply the 5.6x50R necked up I would seriously consider that.

I have a 5.6x50R and it is a fantastic round indeed - very very accurate with little recoil and hard hitting to boot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here built a 25 Copperhead (25/222) or 6mm Myra (24/222) on the small Sako action?

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
My recollection, Fadala used a straight 6mm/222 NOT rimmed.

It was on a Sako done by Frank Wells, he spoke of many deer and antelope to 200-250 with 80gr bullet with BLC powder at 2800 or better.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone scan and send to me the article? It is very difficult for me find in Italy the tenth edition of Handloader's Digest, That magazine has been taken by a good-for-nothing man.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: I was in milano new years eve visiting some friends.. you have a very nice church and main square. Huge city and crazy traffic Smiler

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Steve:
Wildcat Cartridges, the book, available from Midway, has the article on the 6mm-222.

Fadala and Wells used a little Sako action, and built the round on the 222 case. No rimmed version was mentioned in this story. He also mentioned that a couple of guys in Australia, built the 243 Myra, which is the same round.

Last year while I was in Eugene Oregon, I came across a gun shop, that had a little Martini built to a 222R. The general consensus up there was brass was easy to get! A number of european firearms were chambered for the 222R as well!

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nortman,
next time that you come in Milan, send me a mail, it is always a pleasure to meet an A.R. member. We can always plan something of interesting.
Jerry,
thank you, I'll try to get it

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil