New
Find
Notify
Tools

280AI powder?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 280AI built by Jim Borden. Already have a load using VV N165 and the 140nbt. Groups are in the .3's with a velocity of 3240. This is the load Jim gives with his 280AIs. I am a barnes x slut. That means I dont do the polymer tipped thing very well. Was just curious to see if any one else had any powder suggestions. Also have some IMR4831 to work with but am open to other suggestions. Bullet weight will be 140grain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wished mine was done. Those plastic tipped bullets work well, I like them for deer alot. Reloader 19 or 22 is supposed to be great podwers. IMR4831 works awsome in my standard 280 so I am going to try H4831sc, reloader 19 in mine first. That VV might get a look in the IMP. IMR4350 would work, I got an 06 shooting well with for my buddy my with it. My 25-06 and standard 280 hated it, other guys post great results with it. A 140 at 3200 plus that is what I am looking for, I would like to get a 160 to 3000fps. I am building a Rem700 Holland lug 24in #5 Pac-Nor fluted in a High Tech stock, Luepold rings bases and 4.5x14, KG coat on the whole 9. Tub speed lock firing pin and spring. I resprung the Remington Trigger. Keep your results posted. IMO I think the 280IMP is as good as it gets for med to smaller stuff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Medium to smaller? I would not hesitate to put a 140grain x into an elk or moose. Porper shot placement will kill em both with no problem. I am gonna load some accubonds in the 140grain flavor. They will get their fair shake but my heart belongs to barnes. Have blown a 140xlc through 200lbs of deer and 5 or so inches into a pine tree from a tad shy of 400yds. That was with a 7-08AI. Aint no polymer tipped anything gonna do that. I have yet to have to track a deer while using the x. The same can not be said for the nbt. But with the reports I have heard on the accubond, I am definitely gonna try them. Just lookin for some different powders to push em with. That load with the VV n165 is the load Jim gives for all his 280AI rifles. And no doubt it will probably make the accubond sing as well. The x can be a PIA to load sometimes. Was just looking for some other options. Good luck with your rifle too. I will keep updates posted and hope you will do the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree moose and elk can be taken with it, with the right bullet in the right spot. I just would prefer a using a 200-250 grain bullet to do it IMO. I have had no luck with the Barnes in my center fires. I wished I could get them to shoot. I could not get them to shoot well enough to hunt with them. They are pretty salty so I have not tried more than a few times. A few of my buddies shoot them. Seems like the either shoot incredible or really bad, just my experience. I agree they work nice on game, I do use them in my in-line. Those triple shocks are supoosed to be less of a PIA. Not as sensitive to seating depth. I will put VV on my list of must tries in that 280IMP. Reloader 19 and 22 are supposed to be the shit, we will see. I have some, have not loaded it yet. I still using up my IMR4831. Are you going to anneal before fire forming? Do you fireform with a bullet into the lands or wadding and blue dot?

one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831SC puts the 150gr SMK's into the .1"s in my 280AI. RL22 also works great. I will test for the best speed,..but with the groups the 4831sc is posting,..I have a feeling that will remain the load of choice.

As a side note,..I have yet to track a deer using the NBT from any of my rifles,..clean out to and past 400yds. The doe who was airmailed my 150gr NBT from my 7mm mag at 425yds last week,...noticed a very effective pass through shot with extreme prejudice toward respiration. She traveled 3 feet,...straight down. I too have yet to have a barnes X or partition bullet shoot into what I feel acceptable groups.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I love RL22 or Norma MRP

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
280Ackleyrized,

I recommend Rl-22 to my customers when I build them a rifle on the 280 AI. The most recent was looking to get 7mm Rem Mag performance out of a lighter rifle and less recoil.

He wanted to use the rifle mainly as an elk rifle but also secondary as a deer rifle on combo hunts.

I highly recommended Rl-22 under the new 160 gr Accubond. He developed loads with that combo and settled on a load that produced 3125 fps with the 160 AB bullet with 1/2 moa accuracy out of the 24" light weight sporter rifle.

If you look at teh ballistic numbers comparing the 140 gr and 160 gr AB bullets, the slight advantage in velocity that the lighter bullet has will be eliminated quickly by the higher B.C. of the heavier bullet.

This customer also tested teh 140 gr X and 140 gr BST and found the X bullet lagged 125 fps behind the 140 BST when loaded to full to top loads.

Basically, you will be able to drive the 160 gr AB to roughly the same velocity as the 140 gr X bullet plus it will shoot flatter and penetrate much better then most will give credit for.

I am not a fan of the X bullet, seen to many problems in loading, pressure, poor accuracy and inconsistant expansion on game. Yes they penetrate, but all the premium bullets in proper hunting weights penetrate plenty for hunting any big game here in North America and most of Africa.

I feel for any deer hunting, whitetail, mule and caribou, the X bullet is actually a less effective bullet then the Ballistic Tips of proper weight.

Before someone out there starts having chest pains, do not tell stories of lost game with lightweight ballistic tips because this should be common sense. Use a good bullet weight and hit your target correctly and you will never loose an aminal and very seldom track anything either.

In a round the size of the 280 AI, I personally feel you will be hamstringing yourself with the X bullet. I have yet to see any X bullet shoot with a BTip and 90% of the time a partition will vastly outshoot them as well. With those two bullets, all game is covered very well in my mind without the headache of the X bullet.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote