New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7.62x54R improved? or 338 caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The AI reamer for the x54R would have to be made, but that is not that big a deal.

Rather than going the Finn bolt route I was thinking of the semi-auto Dragunov rifle ... I need to get a hold of one of the mags for it, and then see what can be done ....

I still think the 6.5 AI version would SMOKE, and the rifle is set up already to allow seating the bullets out far

There is always the option of the x54R belt fed

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Marty,
Shoot me an email next time you are hitting carters, or we can go to lake houston... it's further, but it's cheap...

i know perdactly where 1314 hits 105... my "sister" plays in the chriton theater little theater company.. and my best friends live in willis... i just take 75 up, if i am on that side... and 59 to 150 the other way.

cheers
jeffe

Posts: 39680 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Dragunovs I've run across were brass destroyers. They left a DEEP dent right in the middle of the case body. Don't know if they all do that, or if it can be fixed, but if not, all that AI brass gettin' beat up would be a real drag.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had read that there was a competition cartridge based on the 7.62x54r necked down to 6.5mm (6.5x53 russian pp. 350 cartridges of the world 8th ed.) says it was made in finland know any gunshops there?

I saw a photo of the 7.62x39 necked to 9.3mm in soldier of fortune magazine before (and it is used in a tom clancy video game as well) but a 9.3x54mm sounds like a great idea too!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a 45/70 out of a 91/30 and it is single shot.
[image]http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=127760[/image]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I had read that there was a competition cartridge based on the 7.62x54r necked down to 6.5mm (6.5x53 russian pp. 350 cartridges of the world 8th ed.) says it was made in finland know any gunshops there?

I saw a photo of the 7.62x39 necked to 9.3mm in soldier of fortune magazine before (and it is used in a tom clancy video game as well) but a 9.3x54mm sounds like a great idea too!

Well slap me and call me Sally! I tend to look in COTW first and missed it completely. Thank you so much!! And yes, I have several contacts in Finland, including their top rated military "long range precision shooter". With a little luck I can get a reamer and dies at a "nice price"

As to the 7.62x39 necked up, the 9x39 Grom is used in the VSK-94 suppressed rifle for "wet work" at limited engagement distance. Terminal performance is good, but accuracy has been lamented by those using it ....

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

The AI reamer for the x54R would have to be made, but that is not that big a deal.

Rather than going the Finn bolt route I was thinking of the semi-auto Dragunov rifle ... I need to get a hold of one of the mags for it, and then see what can be done ....

I still think the 6.5 AI version would SMOKE, and the rifle is set up already to allow seating the bullets out far

There is always the option of the x54R belt fed

I believe you'd be much more likely to get the Dragunov type magazine to feed a modiofied cartridge than the Moisin magazine. I think the 9X54R Medved round was used in an Kalashnikov-style action. At least, I know it was a semi-auto with the gas system on top of the barrel.....