Tools

Re: advice on 7mm08
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
Quote:

My Ai is running around 3150 to 3185

Great!!!!!....and may I ask what pressures you're generating to get that performance?

May I also ask if you've used the same reloading techniques and pressure estimating to see what velocities you can get out of the standard case?

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
really? most factory loads for the 7-08 run around 2975 fps. My Ai is running around 3150 to 3185 depending on my powder and bullet combi choice. Thats around 200fps gain with the AI and 26" of barrel. And yes, its enuf to be noticeable. My AI has taken several large whitetails at distances pushing 400yds with one well placed shot. No tracking required for any of em. My buddies 7-08 with 24" tube and factory 140's set to 2 1/2" high @100yds(same way i zero my scope) wont make the trip without some serious holdover. SO MUCH FOR THOSE UN-NOTICEABLE GAINS HUH.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Iam looking into having built a 7mm08 ackley what sort of performance can I expect and is this caliber better than the 30.06 performance wise

Frankly, I doubt you'll see any improvement in performance at all using the AI version. Here's a thread that hits it pretty close......popular?....no! Accurate?????....yup!

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=883475&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1&vc=1

As to comparing it to the .30-06.......

for deer and antelope ...it's as good or better

for moose and elk........I'll take the .30-06 however....the 7-08 is a fine round for the larger game as well.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote