Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Griffin & Howe
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody have any info on this caliber?

Posts: 6 | Location: Fairbanks,Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H&H case necked to 358 developed by Leslie Simpson. Don't have any modern load data, but Phil Sharpe's book suggested H4350 and 275 gr. bullets.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450hunter ----- I shoot a couple of .358 Shooting Times Alaskans and I have read where Layne Simpson, who first did the STA along with Kenny Jarrett, stated that the 350 Griffin & Howe and STA were very close to each other in performance. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 350 Griffin & Howe was developed by, you guessed it, Griffin & Howe in the 1930s. It is now just about obsolete. It's also mistakenly called the 350 H&H. And it's not a wildcat.

It is a 375 H&H necked to 35 caliber. Has more body taper than the current 358 Magnums such as the STA.

Want photos?

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
It's also mistakenly called the 350 H&H. And it's not a wildcat.

Ray

It was actually chambered by H&H, and they called it .350 H&H. Like the 7x57 aka .275 Rigby.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cheechako,

I know it was developed by Griffin & Howe and it is based off of the 375 H&H. I would like photos and any info you might have(i.e reloading data or personal exp.). I will be picking one up this week if everything goes right and was just trying to find out more about it. I know I will have to reload and form my own brass for it but it should be a great gun for here in Alaska. Thanks for the info.

Robert

Posts: 6 | Location: Fairbanks,Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
phurley5,

Do you have any reloading data for the 358 STA that you would be willing to share? How does your perform? Overall how would you rate your 358 STA? I live in Alaska and have never heard of that round and their is a lot of off the wall stuff up here. Thanks again.

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
358STA = 358 Shooting Times Alaskan

Shooting Times magazine sponsored the development of some wildcats. I believe that they are SAAMI speced but not sure, so they may not be wildcats. Might want to contact Griffin & Howe, ie G&H. Their email adress:

http://www.griffinhowe.com/gunroom-main.cfm?CFID=138040&CFTOKEN=49910890

Ask for Paul at the New Jersey location. He is a good guy and will help you all he can. Tell him John Kirlin suggested you contact him.

Good Luck,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450hunter ----- I have reams of information on the STA, having shot it for some years now from Alaska to Colorado to Alberta to Africa. If you have a Nosler 5th edition reloading manual, it gives reloading information. Layne Simpson based several rounds on the 8mm Mag case, the STA being his answer for the perfect Alaskan round for the big Bears. Basically with 185 to 310 grain bullets you can do many things with it. My loads are 225 grain North Forks at 3100 to 3200 fps, 250 grain North Forks at 3000 to 3100, 270 grain North Forks at 2850 to 3000 fps. I give a range for those bullets because one of my rifles is faster than the other, each being very accurate. I used every bullet manufactured in the .358 caliber made in this country, the North Forks far outdid all others in toughness and accuracy. Superior Ammo is now loading the STA and with North Fork bullets, for the reloader the sky is the limit, and he can best the manual considerably. I have an article by Layne Simpson that outlines all about the round if you would like a copy. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up, the 350 G&H will have less case capacity than the 358 STA, so do not use STA data in the G&H!!! The 358 Norma mag has very close capacity to the G&H and would be a better source of data.

I have a 350 Rigby, essentially a beltless G&H with the shoulder pushed back a bit and sharpened up for headspacing. I find 66 gr Varget pushes a 250 gr 2700 fps from my 24" tube and provides steller accuracy.

Here's a lineup of 350 Rigby, 35 whelen ackley and 350 Rem mag.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote