Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 ultramag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted
Does anybody here have one of these? I'm thinking of building one for groundhog shoots and longrange groundhog hunting. Any info would be gladly accepted good or bad Confused

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no info, but if you are thinking a full lenth Ultra that baby should scream. I have heard guys are really doing well at Williamsport and some of the other 1000yards matches with 6.5 shortmags. The long range forum should help you out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a guy at our range that has an Ultra Mag case necked down and calls it a 270RUM. It smokes!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JGHoghunter,

Way too much powder for extended strings. 6.5mm bullets tend to come apart when driven at warp speed in fast twist barrels. I would much rather have an accurate slow set up than a warp drive laser beam that is inaccurate. I have seen examples of big boiler room cases at our 1000 yard ranges. I do a lot of 1000 yard position shooting and there is always someone coming out with the lastest wiz bang super boomer necked down to drive match bullets at warp drive. The bullets we shoot seem to fly best at about 2850-3000fps. Anyting over that usually causes problems. Given the rotational velocity its a wonder any of them stay together. Yea they are good for 10 rounds or so but after that things go hay wire.

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a guy who had one...it was cool to look at but I don't think he was able to use all the case capacity. His loads were very hot and there was still room left in the case.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I've played around quite a bit with the 6.5 WSM as a hunting rifle. It's been a bit finicky and given somewhat erratic performance. Once dialed in, it definitely performs on game. The 130 gr TSX's moving at 3400 fps allow for a 300 yard zero and work really well on deer and antelope without wasting a lot of meat.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 or .264 ultramag and love it. Virgin Valley (at the time) built an encore barrel for me. 29" barrel, with barnes 120 xlc's it is averaging 3625fps using retumbo powder. It shoots under 1moa, and flat kills. This cartridge can probably be loaded even hotter in a bolt gun.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by filmit:
I have a 6.5 or .264 ultramag and love it. Virgin Valley (at the time) built an encore barrel for me. 29" barrel, with barnes 120 xlc's it is averaging 3625fps using retumbo powder. It shoots under 1moa, and flat kills. This cartridge can probably be loaded even hotter in a bolt gun.

That's pretty awesome! I bet that kills like a laser on antelope and deer... BOOM

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look up Kirby Allen on the long range hunting forum. He posts under 50 driver. He probably has more UM wildcat experience than anyone else. wk

Posts: 63 | Location: Maryville, MO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote